He is so slow

yvonne

Hi All,

Well its been a while since I came on here but as I know you will all give me the very best advice you can, I thought it wise to ask here before going anywhere else.

Dude's training has come on in leaps and bounds but I need to speed him up on his retrieve.

He will go out like a little rocket but when he gets the dumbell he comes back at a snails pace, veering from left to right and mouthing it constantly.

I have tried going back to basics and he will happily sit in front of me doing a perfect hold and give but as soon as he goes to get it he goes into 'silly mode'

This is the one exercise I have to perfect for him to get into top set. Everything else he knows inside out. My worry is he seems to be getting bored of being in class when nothing new is being taught and often he will show off by doing some tricks just to make everyone laugh and gain attention!

Help me please :dogwacko:

Love Yvonne x

stormi

If he does his hold in the sit can you call him a tiny way from that and gradually build up distance? Be exciting and make sure you give him a nice reward when he gets to you :) Also, just work on speed for a while; not presents etc.

fickla

Experienced Member
Here's how I teach my dogs a speedier return:

Once I get a nice hold from my dogs sitting in front of me, I expand that very slowly by having the dogs sitting at my side and then hold the dumbbell out in front of me at arms length for my dogs to grab. So the dog has to move forward to get the dumbbell from my hand, not the floor yet, and then I immediately run backwards as soon as the dog grabs it. By running backwards you are enticing the dog to come running back to you. Then once the dog can easily do this from my hand, I start with the dumbbell on the floor about 5 ft away from me, still running backwards as soon as the dog grabs it. Basically I keep running backwards until the dog is eventually doing a 20ft+ retrieve and speedily coming back to me. Only then do I start to delay when I run back, making it random. Be careful though not to teach your dog that if he is slow he can make you run back and that if he's fast you just stand still.

Another game that I have played around with but haven't decided if I'll do it with Vito yet is the following (i don't know anyone who's done it, but I modified it from a game I play with come):

Once the dog is retrieving nicely from the floor, click and throw a treat out behind you (or even through your legs) as the dog is approaching you. It's ok if the dog drops the dumbbell as you click to grab the treat as the click ends the behavior. But give bonus treats if after the dog gets the treat he goes back and gets the dumbbell again. Like I said i dont know if this would work, but I do a similar version for my puppy recalls and the dogs come flying to you in order to get the thrown treat.

Whatever you decide to do, I would break it down and work on one thing at a time. if you do pure shaping, I would start with the grab and turn. If the dog picks it up and turns slowly that already sets the stage. That's why I do that dumbbell held out at arms length game- it works on a very quick grab and turn!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Switch treats. Try something that he goes bonkers for. I know that my husky will be much more enthusiastic to work for a piece of meat, cheese of her favorite: a piece of garlic beef heart. :)

yvonne

Thanks for all the tips, I will try out everything and see what works best.

Im not looking forward to cooking the beef heart though .. eeewww

I will keep you posted on Dudes progress xx

yvonne

yvonne;21216 said:
Thanks for all the tips, I will try out everything and see what works best.

Im not looking forward to cooking the beef heart though .. eeewww

I will keep you posted on Dudes progress xx
Well I am pleased to say Dude's retrieve has come on so well in 2 weeks time he will be in the top class :doglaugh: I tried out everything that was suggested and it made so much difference to his training but ... he really gained enthusiasm when I began doing agility with him. He just went up a level and became faster in every aspect of his training.

Thanks to everyone for all the help you gave me. I dont know what I would do without your support.

stormi

Yeay! Well Done! It sounds like Dude is doing really well. Hope you enjoy top class and that the agility goes well.

yvonne

stormi;21467 said:
Yeay! Well Done! It sounds like Dude is doing really well. Hope you enjoy top class and that the agility goes well.
Thanks so much, I am hoping for the best. Dude is just such a good dog to train xx

justinesuba

im a newbie hi

:dognowink::dogbiggrin::dogwacko::dogmellow::dogangry::dogunsure::dogtongue2::doglaugh::dogtongue::doghuh::dogsmile::doghappy::dogsleep::dogdry::dogsad::dogcool::dogrolleyes::dogclosedeyes::dogph34r::dogblush::dogwub::dogohmy::dogblink:helo i am new i just signed up yesterday the 29 novebere 09

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Welcome Justinesuba, there is a NEW PERSON thread(discussion) somewhere, it's called "welcome" or "introductions" i think..?

so people can spot you are a new one!!
BUT WELCOME JUST THE SAME!!