having two dogs

lasagnapablo

Hi!

I'm thinking about adopting another dog, a female this time.
I'm asking myself, is it double work? is it possibile to train both? (Pablo now is very good and calm, and he loves playing with other dogs)...is it hard go for a walk with two instead of one?
i'd love to take this responsability, but before i need to understand the problems and if I'm able to do it.
what is your experience?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH yeah, i remember that discussion! It was started by me, when i first got Buddy, he seemed so lonesome, so aching for another dog. NOw-Buddy is finally all bonded into US, and i don't feel the need/want anymore for a second dog, and i don't sense this ache(?) in Buddy anymore, either, as he is now content with his current pack of humans.

I mihgt not be getting a second dog anytime soon---- BUT I DO LOVE SETTING UP DOG PLAY DATES AS OFTEN AS I CAN!

Who knows how to link that other thread "One dog or two?" into THIS THREAD? I got so much great advice, insight, and tips from other dog guardians, i'd like to hook Lasagnapablo into THAT older thread.
How do i do that?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
To get to link, you gotta click on the underlined
"One dog or two" in the first line of my post above...

I DID IT!! I POSTED A LINK!! WOOHOO!!!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Great info Tiger, thanks for pointing it out. :dogsmile: You deserve the most resourceful member of the DTA award! :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WOOHOO!! I feel like a rocket scientist or something,:msnnerd: cuz i am not too swift with computers!! For ME, that is almost as amazing as when Buddy walks by a rottweiler without losing his mind!!!:dogmad:

:msngiggle:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
BAH HAHA! :msngiggle:I just NOW realize, that Fickla HAD ALREADY posted the link! duh...:msnblushing:

eY, Jean, just thought of smoething, can you make it so posted links show in a different color or font, or something? YOu know how usually if a link is embedded, it kinda stands out as different from the other words ....so they stick out in a post...? (Like you dont' have other stuff to do while maintaining this great website, ha ha!)

snooks

Experienced Member
Tigerlily you always make me smile. You did indeed do the link and it works..I thought I remembered your post too. I still love having my two girls and will likely always have two and maybe a foster here and there if I'm lucky. I do still wince when I hear people say they are getting a dog "for" their other dog or to keep another company or help train the other dog. I discovered very fast that each has it's own needs and personality. They don't train or keep company nec but these two adore one another and have a great bond.

Getting another dog for you b/c you're ready and can devote the time is great. Sometimes it takes more training just due to the interference factor, for example don't wrestle and have "fun" in the house or don't play keep away with the remote when I ask them to bring it to me. Both know how to do it but currently vie to be THE one that brings it.

Mostly I feel that learning to train a specific behavior well takes me longer than it does them. Once I figure it out it' easier the second time around. It is very possible to train many dogs (depending on your desire/ability) in some great detail. Both of mine know service work, and some freestyle. The older dog is trained in agility, rally, and obedience. The puppy is still learning some of that but knows a lot already. Before I got the puppy I had a 9yo and the current 5 yo both trained in all the above and it was so much fun.

lasagnapablo

fickla;19537 said:
There was a discussion on this a little while back. I love having two dogs, and will get more in the future, but it is a lot of work. Some say it's more than double the work of having one dog.

But I say what makes the biggest difference is how well trained your current dog is and how much training you are willing to put into the second.
I'm going to read that discussion, thanks!

lasagnapablo

tigerlily46514;19543 said:
To get to link, you gotta click on the underlined
"One dog or two" in the first line of my post above...

I DID IT!! I POSTED A LINK!! WOOHOO!!!
wowow! thank you! :msngiggle:

l_l_a

We are a one-dog household by choice. It is just so much less work on a daily basis, and less cleaning up of poop, and less vacuuming, and fewer vet bills. we often have other dogs staying with us - we often pet-sit for family and friends and have fostered dogs occasionally. (we currently have a foster right now). I just am really lazy so I much prefer in general to have only one dog. :)

also when you initially add a new dog to your household, initially you have to do double work of training and walking since the new dog needs one-on-one training and playing sessions with you to develop the bond with you and to efficiently learn what you have to teach, before he can be integrated seamlessly into your activities with your old dog. but once your new dog has been with you for awhile and has developed a good bond with you and learned the appropriate manners and habits, then it is much less work.