Have you clicker trained other animals?

cleverdogs

...other animals?

What animals, what have you taught them, was it easier or harder than you expected?

:doghappy:

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I have a video, it's my friend's, she trained a cat. :LOL: :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugHTFSQgXiE[/media]

cleverdogs

Has she got the cat walking back on its own without using the hand signals yet? What else has she taught?

I have a cat I'm trying to clicker train. :dogbiggrin:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
A buddy of mine has clicker trained her ferrets and clicker trained some large wild cats(cheetahs, etc) when she was with a large cat refuge. I've heard of many people clicker training their horses, donkeys, and mules. Seems to me a clicker would really help horses learn tricks like bow and the like that I've seen trick enthusiasts like Tommy Turvey teach. I haven't tried it with my horses and donkey yet, but I think I'm going to give donkey boy a shot. He's still quite young and pretty smart. We'll see how it goes. Might give my filly a try too, she's a little over 2 now and we'll be working on under saddle training soon anyway.

fickla

Experienced Member
I am currently trying to train my ferrets and cat. I've been working on teaching the cat to target a stick, spin, and beg. the ferrets are doing rollover and beg. with the cat, I lose his attention very easily. He is generally obsessed with food, but when it comes to training he seems to be saying "I love those treats, but not enough to do anything for them". The ferrets are also hard to find a treat they are willing to work for. Ferrets are very picky, but I have found one treat that 3 of mine will eat. Unfortunately the ones participating are my deaf ferret, really really stupid ferret, and my incredibly smart ferret who doesn't stick around long enough to really train!

But really I don't spend much time at all training them, probably because the dog is so much easier!

dilkara

I taught my cat to sit and 'beg' using the clicker. Then my o/h decided we really needed a dog. lol. I gave teaching the rabbits a go too, but they never progressed from the luring stage.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I tried conditioning two salt water 'nemo' fishes (clownfishes) to respond to a flashlight but it wasn't working too well. I guess if I had nothing to do in life I could achieve it. They did freak swim to the top as soon as they saw me near the tank though, so I guess my presence next to the tank did teach them that they would get food. ;)

codysolo

Experienced Member
i taught one of our cats to sit, paw and beg but not using a clicker. i did clicker train my rats when i had them they learnt to come when called and to follow my finger so sort of hand targeting i also taught one of my buns to spin using a clicker and a carrot

szecsuani

Experienced Member
cleverdogs;13583 said:
Has she got the cat walking back on its own without using the hand signals yet? What else has she taught?

I have a cat I'm trying to clicker train. :dogbiggrin:
I don't know, I only seen her video, never really talked about training her cat. :dogbiggrin::dogbiggrin:

cleverdogs

Thanks everyone, its interesting to see how other animals learn. At the moment my cat seems to have a shorter attention span and appetite for rewards than the dogs.

Jean;13618 said:
I tried conditioning two salt water 'nemo' fishes (clownfishes) to respond to a flashlight but it wasn't working too well. I guess if I had nothing to do in life I could achieve it. They did freak swim to the top as soon as they saw me near the tank though, so I guess my presence next to the tank did teach them that they would get food. ;)
You reminded me I trained some of my fish. I'd put my hand on the left of the tank and they'd swim to the right. Hand in middle they'd swim to left. Hand on right they'd swim middle.

It took only a few feeding sessions for them to work out where they'd be fed depending where my hand was. Quite amazing when people think fish are stupid.

spiritdogs

I taught my horse to "wait" on command, so that he doesn't run over me when exiting the stall.
Worked like a charm, and still does.

addictinganimal

I trained my cats to jump from one chair to another when I was little (my aunt gave me a book introducing me to clicker training), and I trained my fish to go through a hoop.