Havana Silk Dog

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Doc, Sorry that you were having trouble posting your message. For some reason, the security of the server picked up your message as someone trying to hack into the site. I am not sure why that is, I believe it is because it was long and had certain keywords in it that hackers like to use like select, etc... Anyhow. Sorry for the inconvenience.

doc

There are no Havana Silk Dogs in Holland so there is nothing to separate. I maintain the registry for HSDAA and we have no registered Silk Dogs listed in Holland.
Doc

doc

Hi Doc, Sorry that you were having trouble posting your message. For some reason, the security of the server picked up your message as someone trying to hack into the site. I am not sure why that is, I believe it is because it was long and had certain keywords in it that hackers like to use like select, etc... Anyhow. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks for letting me know...hope it knows I'm a friendly now!
Doc

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Doc, do you think someone like me, who knows zero about Havana Silks and not much about Havanese, either
do you think such an untrained eye as someone like me, would be able to spot a Havanese amongst a group of Havana Silks? Or vice-versa?
just curious, cuz, i'd bet YOU would know that answer.
I bet YOU could spot the difference, but, could most ppl like me spot the difference, do you think?

doc

Doc, do you think someone like me, who knows zero about Havana Silks and not much about Havanese, either
do you think such an untrained eye as someone like me, would be able to spot a Havanese amongst a group of Havana Silks? Or vice-versa?
just curious, cuz, i'd bet YOU would know that answer.
I bet YOU could spot the difference, but, could most ppl like me spot the difference, do you think?
I think so...assuming that the dogs you are looking at are typical and representative of their respective breeds. There are Havanese that approximate the Silk type, but those dogs are no longer typical of the Havanese nor do they represent the Havanese Standard. I've attached three photos to this email...the first one is a black/white Havanese. The next two are of the same dog...a blue dog of Silk type. One is stacked, the other is moving just like the first dog that is Havanese. Do you see the difference in coat, length of neck, angles and tail carriage? These photos were taken at Westminster in 2006, before the split but the blue dog is from straight Silk lines that were the basis for formation of the Silk Dog registry.

Attachments

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
THANKS!! SO the first photo, is a Havanese,
and the last two photos are Havana Silk dogs?

Yes i think i could see the difference! THANK YOU!

doc

Essentially...the last two photos are a progenitor of the Silks. That is the phenotype we were striving for...silky, flat coat, crozier tail. longish neck, good angles, elegant.