Hard Days

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
When I was young, we had one cat---for a few weeks. She was an unbelievably mean Siamese who literally hated everything. Living in the country, cats are almost a necessity to keep the mice at bay. In elementary school, we got an 8 month old dark orange tabby. His owners had picked him up as a stray kitten just a few weeks old, but had decided they no longer wanted him. He was extremely stand-offish and wasn't much of a snuggler. We had had him a week when he started acting...well, odd. A visit to the vet revealed that our cheap stray kitty needed $300 treatment for a urinary tract infection. The day he came home he was a different cat--loving, clingy, snuggly...a people-lover. He slept with me every night and loved getting attention. We have a big window on the front of our house, and he would sit in it and wave at you when you left or came home. Other than the one incident when we first got him, he has been a perfectly healthy cat since then. No health problems.
Yesterday, my perfectly healthy, 9-year-old snuggle buddy died. I have no idea why and he hasn't been acting different at all. He was fine all week, and all that day. No signs of any underlying illness or discomfort. He's the only cat I've really ever had. The other animals don't seem to be very affected by it yet. Every now and then Mudflap will look for him in all his usual napping places, and when she gives up she'll busy herself with a toy. Nick is acting pretty much the same, but seems a bit detached. He and Tanner were buddies. I can't help but wonder why my healthy cat would die for seemingly no reason. There has to be something but I have yet to find it and don't really have the want to right now. The empty window, his cat cube, litter box, food dish, and all his napping spots are constant reminders of my furry friend. I miss him so much and he will always have a very dear place in my heart.

maxkaurasky

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty!! You gave him a wonderful life in a rough world though and I'm sure he loved you more than anything. May he rest in peace, and the best of wishes to you.

storm22

Experienced Member
so sorry to hear about your kitty, it is hard when a pet goes suddenly, and your other pets start noticing hes not around you cant help but cry for them too, as they dont understand in some ways

leema

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

It is nice, in a way, that he passed away, seemingly peacefully in his sleep, with no illness or 'old age' conditions.

All the best for your canine family for dealing with the loss, too.

l_l_a

Tx-cowgirl, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's always heartbreaking when a cherished pet passes on especially when it is unexpected, and seeing their "siblings" looking for them in vain adds to the heartbreak as well. But in time the pain will lessen and the good memories will remain. Sending you lots of well wishes.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thank you all very, very much. Your sincerity and kind words mean more than you know.
It's so odd having a catless house. |_|_a, it's nice to hear from you! I haven't seen you around here in a while. Hope things are well with you.
Again, thank you all. I appreciate your kindness. =)

l_l_a

Thanks Tx-cowgirl! yah towards late spring and into summer I got swamped... Started some new projects at work that took a lot of time, some family members had health issues unfortunately, and then at home I also had a challenging foster dog staying with me (I think I wrote about her here a few months ago, she's a Chow) - she had aggression and dominance issues so no rest at home either! The rehoming process was a bit challenging, trying to find the right owners for her and making sure they understood everything upfront. Thankfully she did in fact find a good and experienced forever home. I missed this forum, I hope to spend more time here again now that some things are hopefully settling back to normal pace (oops, I shouldn't speak too soon!)

Hope you are doing well yourself, take it easy and you and your dogs will pull one another through this tough time.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I probably missed it, but I seem to remember you mentioning a foster dog of yours. Were you able to make any improvements before she was adopted? It's good that she found an experienced home. =) Lol, I do understand about speaking too soon. ^^ Somehow somethings always seem to pop up just when you think life is calming down. Hope your family members are doing better now, and if not then my prayers are with you.
As far as Tanner goes, Mudflap has taken up napping in front of his cat cube. She's still looking for him, although she's always been a happy-go-lucky dog no matter what hardship comes about. So she's not really heartbroken, but she's not going to give up her searching for her little buddy. Poor sweet dear.