Happy 4th of July from Sandia

sfangel

Hi! I'm Julieanne, the new owner of a female black and tan shepherd mix puppy named Sandia. I'm excited to be a part of the this community. Sandia became a part of my family June 30, 2008. She's only 3 months old and a wonderful ball of energy and love. So far she tentatively obeys Sit and Stand. She's gotten the picture to relieve herself on the potty pads on a fairly regular basis if she's not outside. I have tried using the crate but she's barks up a storm if I'm in the house and she's in the crate. She seems afraid of being in there when I try to put her in. I've tried treats and chew toys to entice her but it hasn't worked in the last 24 hours.

I'm not the greatest at training so any advice I can get is greatly appreciated.

lizzyrd

Experienced Member
I had to physically pick up my dog and put him in his crate the first few times because he didn't want to either. But that might've been easier for me since he was a 7 lb yorkie pup at the time. But I was persistant and I gave him treats through the bars while he was in there. Also I made sure he could see me when I was home...that calms him down a lot. Now, he doesn't mind his crate and doesn't mind going in on command when I leave for work in the morning or when I go out.

Maybe you could try putting her food dish in the back of the crate everytime you feed her so that she has to enter it to eat and doesn't get fed in other places...just until she gets used to her crate. And put a towel or something soft in there to make it all comfy.

BTW, it took almost 2 months before he stopped barking while I was gone :msnsad: I don't know if there was anything I could do about it. I didn't want to use a bark collar but I guess that's an option.

sfangel

lizzyrd;10331 said:
I had to physically pick up my dog and put him in his crate the first few times because he didn't want to either. But that might've been easier for me since he was a 7 lb yorkie pup at the time. But I was persistant and I gave him treats through the bars while he was in there. Also I made sure he could see me when I was home...that calms him down a lot. Now, he doesn't mind his crate and doesn't mind going in on command when I leave for work in the morning or when I go out.

Maybe you could try putting her food dish in the back of the crate everytime you feed her so that she has to enter it to eat and doesn't get fed in other places...just until she gets used to her crate. And put a towel or something soft in there to make it all comfy.

BTW, it took almost 2 months before he stopped barking while I was gone :msnsad: I don't know if there was anything I could do about it. I didn't want to use a bark collar but I guess that's an option.

Thanks... I'll have to try feeding her in her crate... I know it's not going to happen over night. :dogsmile: