Guess the German Shepherd Mix

gsd4evr

Hi there, I just adopted a GSD mix named Morgan from the animal control, but I don't know what her other half is! :dogwub: The former owner :dogtongue: (who adopted her as a stray previously) was told that she was part hound, but of course I want to know what kind, or if her other half might be something else besides a type of hound!

She has floppy ears that stand up halfway; white dusting on her neck, tummy, back and toes; and her fur is very very soft! :doglaugh: Also, she weighs about 60 lbs right now, she's about 2 years old, and her personality is very playful and smart, but also submissive.

Here's a few pictures, if anyone has a guess, and if anyone knows any websites that might be useful in determining mix breeds, please let me know. I already know about DNA test that veterinarians offer, so I'm just looking for other sources. Thank you!

milissa

Possibly Labrador; she's got that sleek coat, slightly rounded head, and that nice 'meaty' look that Labs get because of the thin fatty layer they have under the skin that helps them float and insulates them in cold water.
Maybe, right?:doghappy:

hockey390

I too was thinking lab. I'm around 2 black labs daily and the face(size/shape) and body size look very similar. The tail looks thick like a hound though. Theres my $0.02

drivingtenacity

I'm going to go off in left field and say she might be part pit bull, or a similar large terrier. There's something about the first picture that reminds me of those breeds. Maybe it's her facial markings or the way her ears set.

yoyopoodle

German Shepherds tend to have ears a little larger than hers, so I would guess that whatever the other breed/s are they probably have mid-to small ears... she does look a bit houndy, and her body seems like a scent hound, but her head does seem more sight houndy - especially with those ears. Other breeds that crossed my mind were Border Collie, and like drivingtenacity said maybe one of the bully/terrier breeds... most likely Staffordshire Bull Terrier, though they tend to be pretty small.

Is it just a trick of the camera, or does she have a white tip on her tail? I know that exists in most herding dogs...

At this point the DNA tests are not reliable - they have given reports that are known to be false. It'll be neat once they are reliable and affordable - it'll make adopting a dog a much easier option when you are looking for certain traits and instincts... :)

oliveoil214

She reminds me of my beagle!! She has definitley got some kind of hound in her, her coloring is textbook hound. And the way her ears flop down makes it seem like the other half of her has longer ears (like a hound) and they want to flop over ha ha!

Good luck, she's adorable!