Great training book!!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I bought a new book today and I HIGHLY recommend it to all of you. It is called 101 Dog Tricks by Kyra Sundance and her uber-smart Weimaraner, Chalcy. I've been running out of tricks to teach my mutts, and this book has given me a million new ideas. It has a wide variety of tricks, ranging from the basics to tricks as advanced as chorus line kicks, rolling a barrel, the moonwalk, jump roping....and many many more. I really like this book. It is simple and very clear, and also a lot of fun. ^^ As soon as I got home, me and Mud got to work...lol. :doghappy: It cost me $18 at Barnes & Noble. This is a really good book and I just wanted to spread the news to all of you. :dogbiggrin:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
How are the instructions in the book? I've read many books where they lack details in the instructions. They would say bring a newspaper and when your dog has it in his mouth give him a treat.

l_l_a

Thanks Tx-Cowgirl! I too will check it out, it certainly sounds like a good book with lots of great ideas. I think it's great that it's available at Barnes and Noble, that way it's more likely that everyday dog owners who may not be on a mission to train their dogs (like most of us on this forum are, that's why we're here!) will see it and get interested in training tricks with their dogs!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
The descriptions are short but pretty clear. It has a description and then a step-by-step pictured sequence. It has:
sit, down, stay, come, shake hands--left and right, fetch/take it, drop it/give, balance and catch, sit pretty/beg (I call this, "Say Please"), speak, roll over, play dead(I have a sequence for this one), fetch my slippers, get your leash, walk the dog, newspaper delivery, say your prayers(this one doesn't teach pray a little harder...this one starts with the dog bowing its head), kennel up, carry my purse, tidy up your toys, roll yourself in a blanket, honk a bike horn, peekaboo!(peeking through your legs---used here as "Where did Fido go??), doggy push-ups, act ashamed, limp(I've been playing around with this one and it happens to be very similar to what she does), pickpocket pooch, play the piano, world's dumbest dog, get the phone when it rings, turn off the light, open/close a door, ring a bell to come inside, pull on a rope(used for miscellaneous acts), bring me a drink from the fridge, mail carrier, find the car keys/remote, push a shopping cart(this one's fun to use at Petsmart/Petco! ^^), bring me a tissue(very cute...my mutts will be learning this one when they're done with what we're already working on), soccer, football(I love this one, but I'm going to teach it a little different), basketball, hockey goalie, hide-and-seek, go hide, which hand holds the treat?, easter egg hunt, ring toss, shell game(flower pots with object under one), dog on point, 3-2-1 let's go!, a BUNCH of jumping tricks, Agility stuff, climb a ladder, roll a barrel, hoop tricks, heel forward/backward, back up, spin circles, take a bow, place(circle to left side), side(swing to left side), leg weave, figure 8's, moonwalk(I like this one!), jump for joy, circus line kicks, bark counting, discern objects' names, directed retrieve, directed jumping, pick a card from a deck, food refusal(she calls this "Yuck"), find object with my scent, contraband search, track a person's scent trail, kisses, paws on my arm, head down, cover eyes, wave good-bye.
I have really found this book helpful so far. And it's given me lots of ideas. =)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I like that it teaches the beginning steps that lead up to certain tricks. I'll use Jean's example: she teaches the take it and give it first, and the retrieve before she teaches the mail carrying/newspaper delivery. So you know what to do to get your dog to learn the whole trick.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
And I believe at the beginning it also goes over jackpots and timing and all that stuff. And thanks for the link, Jean!

bigboytex

wow sounds like there is some pretty cool stuff in there I need to get that book after the mutts get the basics down.

mopar53190

That sounds like a pretty good book! I was thinking of buying a couple more books and videos on dogs. Do you know of any good videos? I do not have any yet and I am kind of interested in checking one out. Thanks tx cowgirl

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I haven't really found any good advanced training videos....but then again I haven't really looked. ^^ I will let you know if I find any. =)