Great Pyrenees

jsaus63304

I never see this dog mentioned in this forum and in fact in most other dog discussions, so I will put in my 2 cents worth.

I have a 14 month old female and she is just a teriffic dog. I have heard all the stories about how you can not train a Pyr, but that is rubbish. She is highly intelligent and picks up tricks and commands very rapidly. She gets along great with all other dogs(big and small), great with adults and loves children. She requires moderate exercise and is quite happy with a 1-2 mile walk daily. She respects our propeerty and will not touch anything that we do not give to her. She knows what are her toys and restricts herself to them. Above all that, is the beauty of this breed. People are drawn to this big white dog. They can not stop touching her soft fur. By the way, these dogs stay clean. Dirt falls right off this coat. We brush her daily and she always looks like she just came out of the groomer. The way this dog attracts the young girls, I wish I would have had one when I was 18. I tell my grandson that he needs to get himself one of these, or maybe I will rent mine to him.

Anyone else have one of these dogs or have experience with then, please chime in.

sarhaspups

I don't have one and never have but I gotta say that I love them (know people who have them) and I hope to have one some day. Very gentle sweet dogs. They have beautiful BIG souls.

lurchergirl

We have a pyrenees, he is almost 9 years old now. We got him at 2 years old as a rescue dog. He is certainly not stupid and enjoys doing a bit of training here and there. In fact, he passed his Kennel Club Good Citizen Award Bronze a few years ago. He could do the Silver award too, but due to his issues with other dogs, I am hesitant to go ahead with it.

Troy is however a typical pyrenees in as he only complies if he is ready or if there is no choice about it and he can't go off lead. Having said that, it is mainly my husband walking him and he doesn't do any training with him at all. Since I have been walking him more, he has got a lot better with other dogs and can go off lead in secure areas.

They are fab dogs!

petey

Hi,

I am new here and just posted an introduction, but I have a Great Pyr/Anatolian Shepard mix -looks mostly pyr except for some extra length in the legs. He is an awesome, sweet dog. My daughter is going to show him at the county fair next week. She did not work with him like she should have, and so I am pretty confident they won't get a great score, but it's a start. He isn't too bad, but can't be left alone in the house loose and he goes and gets one of my youngest daughters toys and chews it up - Don't know why, but most of the time it is one of her items! I am hoping my older daughter and I can teach him some tricks.

petey

maxkaurasky

I don't own one myself, but two neighbors have one each. They are the sweetest dogs & never cause any trouble when they wander onto my yard, so I give em treats & just let them hang out until they wander back home. The house directly across from mine raises llamas, and their dogs name is Tucker. He is the biggest dog I've ever seen in my life! He has an intimidating bark, but thats about it. Our other neighbor's dog is Kolar and he's sweet too, but won't come into our yard, even for a doggy biscuit.