Grain-Free Liver Training Treats

agilehounds

Puree or blend liver in a food processor or blender. Add oil and blend until all chunks are gone and mixture is smooth. Pour into pan.

Bake for 2-3 hours. I usually bake it for 2 hours, which leaves a consistency that is still moist, but doesn't fall apart. The longer you bake it, the drier it will get and the more jerky like it will be. Softer treats work best as the dogs do not have to chew them as much when training.

When finished, remove from pan and let cool until you can touch it and work with it. Remove foil and place liver "cake" on a cutting board. Cut into very small pieces. The smaller pieces work best even for big dogs as this recipe is rich and small treats will last longer.

Allow the pups to taste test and see the smiles develop! Be sure to refrigerate leftovers and freeze anything you won't use within a week.

Happy Training!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Ah, this is similar to a treat i make for Buddy, i just BOIL the liver. Takes maybe 20 minutes. Which is good, is so hot here right now, i can't bear to turn on the over....I then sometimes use the broth to pour over his dinner.

Boiling the liver Makes nice soft liver pieces, i just break it up to the size i need, from crumb size to bite size, depending on if i am training or what...Chicken liver is $1.50 for a larger tub. Like you, I freeze mine in lil bags, too! I put all the lil bags into one large freezer bag.
Like you, i agree, teeny treats is best! Especially for liver, cuz it is so rich.