Going On Vacation And Missy Can't Come

southerngirl

Honored Member
So in June or July I'm going to Flordia for a week with my family. I've twice before and Missy was miserable. She didn't eat, my older brother had to carry her outside, and she sleep the whole day. When my older sister watched her she didn't eat, stayed in her crate the whole day, and had to be coaxed outside. This time she's probably staying at my friends house who has a shiz-zu and a boxer what can I do to make her comfortable there?

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Give your friend very special treats for her like different types of meat. Maybe send her favorite bed or a blanket from home. Send her favorite toys as well. What are her favorite activities? Have your friend try each of them and see what she is interested in doing.

When I watched my friends dog who has severe separation anxiety I used meat treats and I had to do training with him at meal time because if I just put it down he wouldn't touch it, but if I had him 'work' for his food I think it put him in a different mind set, kind of like well I earned it so I might as well eat it.

Honored Member
I have a similar problem. I'm going away for a week at the end of June and Holly has to stay home. I know my mum and dad will look after her the best they can and she has Lewis but she wont get to run around off leash at the park (my mum said she would be scared that she would run away and wouldn't be comfortable letting her off-leash) and she will get zero training for the week and her walks wont be as long.
It will be the first time that we have been away from each other for more than a day :unsure:

And next year (in the second half of the year) I plan to travel overseas for a while (like, a couple of months) and I'm already worried about what I'll do with Holly. She will of course stay here with my family but I fear she will go insane without me for that long. I'm thinking about sending her to daycare once or twice a week to give my family a break from her but that will obviously cost money and I'll have to trust the daycare to look after her. I've thought about seeing if our obedience trainer can daycare her a bit and maybe go through some commands but even that makes me nervous because I don't 100% agree with everything our trainer does and our trainer has mentioned before that she might stop boarding small dogs because they are to hard to fence in!

Ugh, leaving our special little doggies while on holiday is sooo hard!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Give your friend very special treats for her like different types of meat. Maybe send her favorite bed or a blanket from home. Send her favorite toys as well. What are her favorite activities? Have your friend try each of them and see what she is interested in doing.

When I watched my friends dog who has severe separation anxiety I used meat treats and I had to do training with him at meal time because if I just put it down he wouldn't touch it, but if I had him 'work' for his food I think it put him in a different mind set, kind of like well I earned it so I might as well eat it.
Thanks for the ideas. I'll send her with her blanket, tennis ball, tug toy, hot dogs and a stuff animal. I'll talk to my friend about going over some tricks that she knows or she could teach her a new one if she wants. I really hope this will help. I'm really worried about her going on walks because Missy is reactive toward dogs(not aggressive) I'm worried all my work will be messed up and my friend lives in a nice neighborhood they won't be happy about her barking. Hopefully I will be able to show my friend what to do.

I'm open to any other ideas and will probably pull ideas from everyone that I feel will work best for her. Thanks in advanced.:)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Ugh, leaving our special little doggies while on holiday is sooo hard!
Yes it is. I call whoever is watching her everyday to ask how she is doing and do the same for who is watching my bird. After every call with who is watching Missy I feel guilty, I miss her, and really just want to go home to see my baby.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm leaving on vacation in about 2 weeks and I'm dreading leaving Missy. I hate knowing that she's so depressed. I'm really hoping my friend can take her because I'm hoping being with another dog will help.

Honored Member
I also leave in 2 weeks (on the 26th). I keep wondering how Holly (and Lewis) will cope without me since it will be the first time I've been away from Holly for so long. Even if I'm just out for the evening (until 10pm or somthing) Holly sulks the entire time and Lewis watches out the window for me until I get home :(

But I'm trying to prepare.
We bought a 10m long line the other day for my mum to use at the park with Holly since she still says she wont let Holly off lead.
I'm also going to sort out her evening treats so my mum can give her one each day and prepare a frozen kong for each dog for the day that I leave and show mum how to make them another.
I'm not going to bother getting mum to brush them while I'm away but Lewis' coat should be ok after only one week of no brushing, hopefully.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Missy is like Holly she hates it when I'm gone for just a few hours.
I wouldn't be so worried about leaving Miss if it were with my mom. Since I'm going on vacation with my mom, dad, and 3 brothers she has to stay with a friend or other family. From previous trips Missy somehow seems to know that we're leaving because on the day when I start packing Missy sticks to me like glue and is really depressed.

I'm going to pack Missy's blanket, tug toy, tennis ball, stuffed teddy bear. I'm thinking of giving her something that smells like me, maybe it'll help. Most likely Missy will stay in her crate and only come out when someone begs her to go out to potty. She usually just sulks. My mom was trying to be able to bring her with us, but we can afford the fee to bring her.:(

My first choice is for Missy to stay with my friend's mom who has 1 Boxer and 1 Shih tzu. She is great with dogs and I know she will try and get Missy happy. Downside more than likely no walks because she will run into other dogs and the neighbors will not tolerate a dog acting like Missy. Her exercise will be fetch and tug if she will play.

Second choice my Nana. She has 1 Mini Chihuahua(Buddy who Missy adores) and Shadow Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix. My Nana loves Missy, but does not want to take her because Missy is Crazy. Someone at my nana's might play with her.

I remember the first time I ever left Missy for more than 2 days I cried when my sister drove away with her. I was about 14-15 so Missy was 3 or 4. I was so worried she would think we abandoned her like her old owners.

Amateur

Experienced Member
havent read the responses yet but can she have a couple of long play dates and even a few sleep overs before then
Stay with her a bit of the time then leave ... then come back ... then leave.
Let her sleep over and get her the next day ...
lets her know you'll be back for her soon.

southerngirl

Honored Member
havent read the responses yet but can she have a couple of long play dates and even a few sleep overs before then
Stay with her a bit of the time then leave ... then come back ... then leave.
Let her sleep over and get her the next day ...
lets her know you'll be back for her soon.
I wouldn't be able to have just her spend the night but me and my friend are trying to convince are moms to let me and Missy spend the night at my friends house. We also plan on walking the dogs together sometime this week.