Getting Started With A Clicker, For Newbies

Do you use a clicker to train your dog?

• Yes!

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Not yet, but i want to learn how to use one or am thinking about trying a clicker

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

SD&B

Experienced Member
I wouldn't start useing a ballpoint pen. The meaning of the clickers is that after a click always comes a reward. This means that after every ballpoint pen click you as the trainer have to give a reward to the dog. Everytime someone in the house, train, shops, training area, in the car, visiting someone else, etc you have to remind this and give your dog a reward.
So try to found a sound less familiar. (that's also one off the reasons not to use a "good job" of "yes" as a marking point instead of a "click").
What you can do is buy a different clicker. There are some clickers on the marked who have 7 different clicker sounds (they say it somes in handy if you train different dogs).
Then you can sellect the sofftest one.
:)
Good point. Definitely something to be aware of before making such a choice. I would only do it if the clicker terrified my dog, and it does terrify some dogs.

Now there are some electronic clickers, as you said. That might be a great option.

Keeper

Yay, thank you, Tigerlily for posting this! So helpful! I already bought one from the store, sadly it's very cheap. The other one that was well made almost made me deaf. I've used a clicker for my dogs before, bur this this taught me even more. Thanks again, Tigerlily! :>;)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yay, thank you, Tigerlily for posting this! So helpful! I already bought one from the store, sadly it's very cheap. The other one that was well made almost made me deaf. I've used a clicker for my dogs before, bur this this taught me even more. Thanks again, Tigerlily! :>;)
The one I like the most is the iClick, although it's not available everywhere.

Mattndude

Here is Kikopup explaining "clicker training". Kikopup (Emily) is a great resource for those working on behavioral issues. All her videos are short, and easy to understand. This one is GREAT for newbies, lots of great tips.

thankyou for that link it was awesome dieing to get started now