Getting a second hand dog

marieke

We're thinking of getting a second dog, probably a border collie. Since there are so many people selling or giving away their BC via the internet I thought I might be nice to give one of those guys a nice home. Seriously, some people really don't think before having a dog :dogrolleyes: .

I'd like one that enjoys to work, loves to train and is social towards people, animals and other dogs. What should we look for if we decide to go see a dog? Should we go see the dog more than once, take him out on a walk? Does anyone have experience with this?

alix

Marieke, it is a wonderful thing you are doing. I don't have experience in it, although there was a 8 year old dog I wanted to adopt but someone biet me to it.
I would first go to the Tierschutzverein, see the availability, normally at the rescue, they not only take care of any illnesses, they also verify if the dog has any issues such as agression etc. at these centers you can visit the dog few times before adopting. I would be careful over buying over the internet, of course there are some pooches that really do need a good home, but you have to be careful, as there is a big ring of puppy/dog sale in EU that comes from Puppy Mills, and if I am not mistaken, it is from Belgium and Poland. If you do get an interesting add over the internet, make sure that you can go to visit, and that you don't just fall in love with the dog, but observe the people and the environement carefully.

marieke

I didn't know about those questioanble puppy/dog sales on the internet, thanks for the tip! And I definately want to see where the dog is staying and try to figure out if what they say is true.

And of course we have to see if the dog gets along with Guus. Don't want fighting dogs around the house.

dat123

Experienced Member
marieke;4409 said:
We're thinking of getting a second dog, probably a border collie. Since there are so many people selling or giving away their BC via the internet I thought I might be nice to give one of those guys a nice home. Seriously, some people really don't think before having a dog :dogrolleyes: .

I'd like one that enjoys to work, loves to train and is social towards people, animals and other dogs. What should we look for if we decide to go see a dog? Should we go see the dog more than once, take him out on a walk? Does anyone have experience with this?
Thats great if you get a rescue dog. My second dog ( Arlie), is a rescue border collie, dumped when she was 6 1/2yo, debarked and not outgoing at all. All she knew was 'sit' and her name, after 3 years she has agility and frisbee titles, knows around 30 tricks, and follows me around like a shadow. Arthritis is starting to get to her now, so she's slowing down. The other 2 dogs we got from 7 weeks old, but I don't regret getting an older rescue, for one minute. She loves me to bits, and I love her twice as much.
You won't regret taking in a rescue, might take a little more work, but worth it.

E

emmasmamma

In the US we have a website called petfinders.com. You can enter what breed, age, size and location and it will show a list of dogs that meet the criteria from shelters or rescues starting closet to you and works outward. You might try a google search with "rescue dogs" and see if you can find anything like that near you.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Just a word of caution, if you are considering a Border Collie. I don't know if you have young children, but if so, then a Border Collie might not be the ideal choice as they can frequently nip at youngsters, especially when they get excited. It's not aggression, it's just their herding instinct.

If you don't have youngsters, then I'd get several Border Collies! :)

You've already highlighted the key areas to investigate, I think.

Walking:
How does the dog respond to being walked? I'm afraid that I would walk away if I couldn't walk an adult dog before taking it on. There are so many problems that be identified during a walk. For me, it's like test-driving a car.

Commands:
Does the dog respond to simple commands, such as sit.

Touch:
Can you, or the handler, touch the dog all over the body without any adverse reaction.

Nerves:
Can you clap your hands together without the dog bolting under the nearest desk. A dog with weak nerves can be as bad as (if not worse than) a dog with too much nerve.

Health:
Does the dog have any long-term health disorders, such as epilepsy, partial blindness, hearing difficulties, arthritis, and so forth.

It's important to remember, when visiting shelters, that dogs are rarely showing their true selves. They are often wound up with excitement, frequently barking from frustration, and can be hyper when they leave the kennel. Or they can be the exact opposite and just sit there depressed. I think that you do have to sort of factor this in to the overall equation.

Remember too, it's likely that any adult dog you take on will have at least one issue. The question is which issues can your lifestyle deal with. For example, I work from home all day, and so separation anxiety is something that I would be willing and able to accept and work on. I don't have children and so an excitable dog wouldn't be as much of an issue to me as it might be to some others.

Hope you manage to find the right dog for you though. Though, I'd be willing to bet that it finds you in the end. :)

marieke

I think the animal shelters in Holland all have a website where you can search for dogs. They share one system as far as I know.

Thanks for your tips Collieman. We don't have kids and don't intend on having them. So we should be fine. The dog doesn't have to be perfect but most important is that he gets along with Guus. And furthermore I'd like one that would enjoy agility and free style. My parents BC is not socialized at all which isn't easy. But still he's a great dog to have, just not very nice to strangers and other dogs. He loves guiney pigs, rabbits and hamsters though. And he loves to play.

drivingtenacity

Everyone here is giving you great advice, but I have to say the most important thing is to go with your gut. Zena, my Shepherd, was a rescued dog, and when I got her, she was skittish, ill-mannered and underfed. A little love can go a long way in helping a dog through their issues.
Also, as long as you have the strength and means to deal with it, don't rule out getting an older dog, or one that has a disability. They're so much less likely to be adopted, and can be great dogs, too.