Get the Juice

bocephus

Experienced Member
First off Thank you to my friend Sarah for giving me the idea and motivation to teach this to BOcephus.

The boy had the whole thing down pretty good in less than 10 minutes. Granted there is still improvements to be made. I just got a little anxious and posted it before we are done.

We started off with the tug game to open the door then moved to the retrieve game using a tennis ball in the fridge, Finally replacing the tennis ball with the juice bottle. I think I should use a smaller item because he has to knock it down to get ahold of it!
The hardest part is teaching one a trick with three others are anxiously waiting in the next room. They all want in on it!!
I hope I entered the video right.........
[media]http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/bigbadbocephus/?action=view&current=BOgetmyjuice005.flv[/media]

l_l_a

that is so cool!! Maybe a soda can would be easier for him to hold onto??

I think if I tried this with my dog, he would get sidetracked from snorting around the food in the fridge and not get the juice or soda, heheh..! :)

by the way how do you post the video so it comes up this way (opening the video directly on this page)? when I posted the link to a photobucket video on another thread, it just came up as a url that opened the photobucket page itself in a new window.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
That's freaking awesome! Good job! :dogsmile:

I was going to add this to my lessons list once I get the time... So much work right now, everybody wants their jobs done before christmas hehehe.

But I'm impressed at the size of bottle your dog grabbed, lol. That's huge! But good idea to use your dog's love for retrieving and incorporating a tennis ball into the training. I would of used clicker training since my husky isn't nuts on tennis balls lol :)

Thanks for sharing!

P.S. You can embed videos into your post my highlighting your video url and clicking on the blue M (media) in the editor's toolbox! :dogsmile:

bocephus

Experienced Member
P.S. You can embed videos into your post my highlighting your video url and clicking on the blue M (media) in the editor's toolbox!
Thanks Jean. I was never sure the right way of doing that.

We upgraded that trick just a little. Now I send him for the juice and when he brings it to me I take a drink and then tell him to "put it back". He goes to the fridge, sets the bottle down, opens it up and puts it back.
I'll tell ya these pups are so freikin smart it is unbelievable!!!

l_l_a

Now having a waiter like that is something I could get used to! :) Did you teach him to open/close the fridge separately from getting the bottle?

Thanks for the tip on embedding videos, Jean, I went back and fixed my other links.

bocephus

Experienced Member
Open door was first. Then after one part was mastered we added another till we had it all together.
Only I keep finding things to add to it :) And until he shows me that we hit the "That's enough" point I will keep adding as this is fun stuff:)

l_l_a

:)

hey Jean, sorry to be a pain but I'm having problems embedding video again, on the Clicker Inspiration thread I went back and fixed my previous two links as you described, one linked worked but the other just said "no video" even though I did the same thing for both...

l_l_a

OK sorry again to be hijacking this thread, but re embedding video, I got it to work now, I just shortened the filename. good to know...!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you got it to work ||a!

LOL. Next thing you know, you'll be cooking something nice, like turkey for thanksgiving and putting the nice left overs in the fridge. Then waking up to see your dog has gracefully opened the fridge in the middle of the night and ate all of it!!! Hehehehehe