GA Coonhound

zcoonhound

Yes that is right, a Georgia Coonhound that does not hunt but is a family pet! In fact she is a great companion. "Z" goes with us trail riding, has a basic repertoire of tricks, has dabbled in Rally-O, begun SAR training, and is currently working on getting her Dog Scout certification. I thought we could find more tricks to add to her collection from members of this site. I have checked out other websites on trick training and did not like some of the methods. I am very interested in any tricks taught using the clicker/treat training methods. Some of our current tricks are: sit, stand or get up, down, roll-over, sit pretty, bow, wave hello, shake hands, stay (with owner out of sight-working on longer durations), leave it, and wait.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Sounds like you've gotten off to a great start with your dog! Welcome to the Academy, and hope you enjoy it! Good luck with Z.

Wait, is that TRAIL RIDING I see? I'm assuming horseback, correct me if I'm wrong. If so, always good to meet another rider. ^^

zcoonhound

Oh yes trail riding. I ride a mule, and hubby rides a quarter horse mare. Last year we logged 1,000 miles trail riding. Z has now worked up to spending all day with us out on the trail and she loves it. Do you ride? Does your dog go with you?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh goodness, I do wish I had time for that much trail riding!!!
Where I live, we have a bit of a...well, loose dog problem. My neighbor has a very aggressive shepherd mix, and despite lots of complaints they rarely keep their dog fenced. So, I don't let my dogs come along anymore. I'm working with two of them on following a bit better, as one of them tends to get bored after a while and roam. ^^ I currently have 5 horses. The two that are "mine" so-to-speak aren't really up to long rides just yet. One is almost two, and I will begin under saddle training with her a few months from now. We'll be doing very light work for a while, as she's rather small. Lots of cowhorse breeding, and she seems to be a bit of a late bloomer. :) We've raised her from the ground up. ^^ My other horse was my first many many years ago, and he's now 26 and doesn't take the longer rides anymore. =) We have Paints and Quarters. I used to barrel race, but we had to put my barrel horse down last year, and I simply haven't found a good candidate to start with again. So right now I'm just doing trail and training. ^^