Foundation Training

charmedwolf

Staff member
One of the things I've been wondering as I was thinking of the things that I need to train my new pup is what is good foundation training. I know many people think that heel, sit, come, down, and stay are the best commands at first but what else would be a great foundation? What are the first commands you would teach new pups?

I'm starting with fresh minds as both my brother and I got two boxer pups both 5 1/2 months old from a friend who found the mom on the street.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
charmedwolf;13291 said:
One of the things I've been wondering as I was thinking of the things that I need to train my new pup is what is good foundation training. I know many people think that heel, sit, come, down, and stay are the best commands at first but what else would be a great foundation? What are the first commands you would teach new pups?

I'm starting with fresh minds as both my brother and I got two boxer pups both 5 1/2 months old from a friend who found the mom on the street.
I think that you should teach the basic obedience commands first, then move into tricks. The most important is response to name, come, down, sit, wait/stay. After you've taught those then it will be a piece of cake to train tricks. All of these are taught in the first two levels of the Academy Classroom.

But as a very young puppy, you'll most likely be focusing on potty training and house rules before any training is done. :) Have fun!!!

snooks

Experienced Member
start now letting them drag a leash around and get used to it. cut the loop on a cheap leash so it can't get caught and be sure they don't get scared. lure them after you with treats and be positive. these are going to grow up to be HIGH energy BIG dogs so having them learn and being able to control them now is the key to happy puppies and humans in the coming year.

boxers are one of the highest energy breeds there are and they need lots of exercise and lots of interaction with different people now when they are puppies. the more they see and learn now as puppies the more socialized and confident they will be as adults. get them used to new people and kids and be very active with these little guys.

great free down load http://www.siriuspup.com/beforebook.html. good luck and have fun those puppies.

fickla

Experienced Member
I would add "leave it" and "drop it" to the list. As well as not nipping and jumping on people.

As for the very first command, probably their name :) reward eye contact!

charmedwolf

Staff member
Thankfully their breeders taught them bite control, housetraining and how to walk politely on a leash. They just hate the leash...and anything on their neck so that what we've mostly had to work on.

Isis and Jinx are both food crazy so training is easy. Isis now sits when every you ask (so far at least) and Jinx if you look at her or say anything with the word "sit" in it she will. No clue if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet. Also, Isis moves right after you reward, Jinx stays still with her eyes on you.

Tomorrow we'll tackle the "down" command but we tried it today and I think I'm going to have to shape this one. Any idea how I should do this?

You could try luring the dog into a down position, it's pretty easy actually. There are some good videos in the classroom but you will have to pay to see them. Basically you put a treat in front of their nose and lower it to the floor, and they only get it once they go down.

Good luck!

snooks

Experienced Member
are u using a clicker?? I assume so if you're going to shape. while you can shape a sit and down i generally find it harder than luring for a puppy. puppies tend to imprint much stronger to a food reward than other training cue/reward methods. a lure and clicker with good meaty smelly treats has hand's down been the fastest way to teach all of my dogs. my dog is clicker savvy as is my clicker trainer's dog. as well trained as her dog is it still took longer to shape a sit than lure it for her dog too.

i generally have better luck shaping more complex behavior or those that may be farther away from me such as a remote movement like roll-over, around objects, go to mat.

if they hate stuff on their necks now maybe you could start associating collars and leashes with food and fun. lots of food and take it right back off, over and over daily. so that it's not always for a long time and it means fun like playing is involved. as powerful as they will be it's going to be an important exercise tool since they're going to need a lot of exercise. :dogwink: