For those with video cameras...

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I was thinking that as I and an increasing number of other people have video cameras...

As of the new year, I would set a monthly behaviour that we could each attempt to teach our dogs, and then at the end of the month review how we've done with video. Or, if you felt that I might cheat and get a head-start or use behaviours that my dog already knows, we could find another way I'm sure. Though, I'd never "cheat" as, well, there are no prizes so what would be the point, and it would be no fun at all for me.

So, the first one might be something like....

Your dog must take an item of laundry from the floor and place it into the washing machine, for example.

Would anyone else be up for this? I personally love working out how to actually get from A to B when teaching a new behaviour, so it could be fun, and it keeps things varied for our dogs.

If there's enough interest, we can start in January.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
That's a great idea, CollieMan. I can see what I can do, however January-March is going to be incredibly busy for me, so we'll see what happens. I hope you get some people interested!!!!
I've been planning on getting a vid of Mud's tricks soon anyway, once we master the off-leash heel, which shouldn't take long as we just started yesterday and she's doing wonderful. She picks up on things fast.
Another good one would be getting your keys(although for me I kind of have a headstart, as I've started working on that with Mud already), or getting a tissue, or turning on the lights. Or a wide variety of things. This could be a lot of fun! Hope you get some more interest, CollieMan. Great idea!

l_l_a

That's a neat idea!!

I just discovered I have Windows movie maker too!! I got a new computer at work two months ago but never thought to look for that since I've never had a use for video editing software. But with you all on here talking about video editing software and Windows Movie maker being one of them, it prompted me to see if I happen to have it, and it was a neat surprise. how's that for an unexpected x-mas present! I was just playing around with it, it's so easy to use! now I can organize my random home videos of my dog! Hope my boss doesn't catch me doing it though, hehe!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Ahh!!! As do I!!! Lol....funny how you find things you know you'll use once you know to look for them. Good...I'll be playing around with Windows Movie Maker soon, too. =D

l_l_a

it's funny because recently when I've been watching more dog-training videos on YouTube (due largely in part from following the links that people post on this site) I was wondering, why do so many of these videos look similar like the introductory words at the beginning of the videos are the same color and style font on same color background? I was wondering if these different YouTube members were copying each other by using the same type of fonts and style. But now I realize it's because probably they were all using Windows Movie Maker and this is the default font style and background color! Now we can join the club too!!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
It might also be because that YouTube allows you to edit your videos on their website. I don't know if that's why many of the videos have the same intros, but I do know that you can edit them in YouTube.

luna may

While you're at it, how DO you use Windows Movie Maker? Iv'e tried, but I just can't get it right :doglaugh:.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
This is a really great idea!!! I love it!
But please don't do anything with the washing-machine, becouse it's too high for my dog to reach it's top. And she is not allowed to go into the bathroom...
And could we discuss the way we could teach the dog to do sg? Becouse I'm not really good at making up the teaching...

dennygirl

Great idea collieman! Prehaps we could modify it slightly - for the vertically challanged dogs out there- to placing the laundy item into the laundy bag instead of the washin machine?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
dennygirl;2446 said:
Great idea collieman! Prehaps we could modify it slightly - for the vertically challanged dogs out there- to placing the laundy item into the laundy bag instead of the washin machine?
Obviously, we can't cater for every single physical aspect of every single breed. It might be that on the odd month or two, some particular dogs might not be able to follow the idea to the letter. In those cases, I'd expect them to do as you've just suggested, and make a suitable replacement. They could do as you have suggested and use a laundry bag, or a box, or something similar. Remember, there's no prizes, and it is just for fun, so there's no point in getting too picky over the finer details. :)

So, as we're practically in January..... I'll start another post with January's idea. :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I think this will be very beneficial to all of us. One of the best ways to improve as a trainer is learning to think for yourself when it comes to training your dog. :dogsmile: Developing your own methods helps you better understand your dog and the way he/she learns. It's fun to start from nothing but an idea, and figure out a way to teach your dog to it. Looking forward to it, CollieMan! :doglaugh: