Fleas

Ina

.. me again :D

Has anyone got good ideas regarding natural flea treatment? My kids are playing a lot with the dog and I don't really like to use something that might be harmful for them.

Someone also mentioned that there is a medication that is injected by the vet once a year to keep fleas away. Is that true and has anyone tried it?

Thanks for your time ..

Cheerio ... Ina (and Smokey)

sara

Staff member
I dunno what is available in Australia, but there are some types of anti parasite meds that are a drop on the back of the neck and last for 4 months. Advantage is one, Frontline, another (there are others, I think). they are also a de-wormer. I dunno how well it works, as we dont have fleas here.

Ina

Lucky you ... our park is full of fleas. Every time we come home from a walk I have to check for fleas or give him a bath straight away.
And yes, we do have the drops for the back of the neck, but the packaging also tells you to wash your hands, avoid contact with eyes and small children. I guess it can't really be that good for the dog ???? (never mind the kids - if the old ones are un-usable we can make a new one <gd&r>)
Just hoping to find something more natural ???

sara

Staff member
I've actually never even seen a flea. (I think a- na na na na boo boo is in order :p) Actually, it's very lucky, as my boy that was rescued in Houston and flown up to me is allergic to fleas (was deaf when I got him, but as his skin healed from a severe flea infestation, his hearing came back... I call him my defective deaf dog! LOL)

So Oliver will never have to deal with another flea, and I'll never have to put chemicals on my dog ;)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lavendar Oil is a natural flea/tick repellant. You can put a drop or two on their collar and maybe put some on a rag or something and wipe them down. Also if the kiddos are having trouble getting fleas/ticks on them, you can put a drop of it on their wrists. Completely harmless.

Ina

Thanks for the tips. Someone mentioned Teatree Oil which I have put on his bandanna and we have been flea free for a couple of days now :-)