First aid for dog cuts?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Buddy cut his forearm. Small lil cut, and it has been two days, he licks at it now and then. Now it seems to have small lump. It is Sunday, so I'll call vet tomorrow, but what SHOULD i have done? Hydrogen peroxide? Since it was so small, did not even bleed, i figured dog's licking the cut would keep it clean...?

Craig wants to put bacitracin ointment on it and wrap it up so he can't lick it. Is that okay for dogs?

What should we do?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I think the best thing to do is call a vet in the morning, although you know he's going to ask you to bring him in...

I doubt that a dog licking a wound would keep it clean, since their mouth isn't all that clean to begin with. I would personally just use a wrap bendade (the ones that you wrap around a limb without any adhesives) just to stop Buddy from licking it. And see how it is tomorrow.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help... :/

Jean

desertranger

First aid is te same for dogs as it is for people. Debrid and clean the wound. Even shaving away the fur if necessary. Clean with Hydrogen peroxide, betadine and cver with neosporin + pain relief (small tube) and wrap with a self adhesive roller bandage the same kind they put on you after a blood test.

IMO the lump is some debris in the wound but a vet will know better.

I have also posted a couple of things on dog first aid at the O'blogitory.

good_doggie

Just saw in my first aid for dogs book, You should soak the cut in cold water to lessen the pain. I dog just had it today and it worked wonders! hope i could help!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Thank you!!! Is neosporin okay for dogs to lick off? I usually put it on the cut before a walk, so he can't lick it off, and by the time we get back, he seems fairly oblivious to it by then. But sometimes, he does lick it back off, is this okay for dogs?

good_doggie

Just asking, is the lump red or swollen? because if they are, they are hard to cure. . . . .just random trivia. . . . .:D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
really? he does have teeny lil lump, as if something is IN it, like a sliver or something. Does not look infected, though.
but dogs have hard time healing it up if they get an infection in a cut, do they?