Find Command

Sarah Hunt

Tonight at training, we had some paper cups and put a treat underneath. We always have to hide Merlin`s eyes as he loves this game. Tonight, Merlin went straight to the treat "Amazing" he loved every minute of it.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
adorable!!!

this trick can also be advanced along,
to putting a treat under bowls, or cups, heavy enough to seal more to the floor to reduce the scent,
or--- rub treats in ALL 3 bowls, to make them all equal scents.........

as another person has the dog do "look at me" so the dog can not watch where you have put the treat........then have other person let dog look over at you,
but other person is still holding the dog's collar,

and then you POINT at which bowl or cup the treat is under,
and then dog is released, after the dog has observed your pointing........

the dog either follows your point automatically (many dogs CAN understand a point)
or your dog learns to follow your point.

You can also teach the dog to target the correct bowl with his paw, too.

FUN!!!! There are many fun variations of this game!!!

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
There are a couple of variants on this game I like:

Find it around a room:

The muffin tin game [no finding involved but like in getting a treat from under the cup you could put treats under some or all of the balls]:

More Nose work ideas:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOVED IT!! I can not wait to try to the "scent" rag game in video #3 there! How fun, wow, those dogs are having a ball! And finding the tea-bag looks great, too.
actually, i haven't yet watched the 1st two videos, but LOVE the #3 video! THANKS for posting, and you make very good tutorials, too, very easy to understand how you trained these games!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Now i have watched the first video there, and LOVED it, i do same thing with Buddy, and he LOVES that game! I usually show him what the item is that i will hide, put Buddy in a "stay" in another room, and hide the "puzzle" for him to find, he LOVES this game.
A puzzle is a plastic tub, with holes punched in it, with some treats that fall out of the holes as he plays with it.

Even if Buddy gets a new toy now and then, i will usually show him the new toy, (at which point my dog begins to quiver with excitement:ROFLMAO: as he adores toys )
then i put him in a stay in another room,
go hide the new toy,
and call him to find it. Buddy can also find a new toy, even if he has not been shown the new toy.

I think this game is also great practice for a dog to hold his stay, as well. GREAT VIDEOS, so nicely made!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Ah, well, these are still GREAT ideas of fun games to play with our dogs on these boring winter times!! THANKS FOR POSTING!! I am going to try this many of these ideas, my dog LOVES "finding" games!!