Females Fighting

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh okay. Once you get your yard fenced in then I'm sure he'll have more fun.:) You can play games with him like fetch to tire him out even more, or to get him running.

Sameeee

about a 1/4 mile or more, but only when hubby goes to check the mail
l we have a long driveway

MaryK

Honored Member
about a 1/4 mile or more, but only when hubby goes to check the mail
l we have a long driveway
Max's needs a lot more than a 1/4 mile walk, not enough for a big ,healthy energetic boy. If it's not possible to walk a longer distance in one walk, try several walks through the day. Plus toys, play with him a lot, this will help until he can have a safe, free run in his own garden.

Honored Member
Max's needs a lot more than a 1/4 mile walk, not enough for a big ,healthy energetic boy.
I agree. My dog is a Pug cross and she gets walked for at least an hour a day. I think the distance would be at least 2.5 miles walking for me (that's a guess) and even further for her because she is off-leash for part of the walk.

And she still has too much energy at home. She is insane if she hasn't had a walk so I wont risk not taking her out now, no matter the weather she gets taken out for at least an hour. One day I didn't (about a month ago because the weather was horrid) and I really paid for it :cautious: and she has nearly constant access to our backyard and our house is not small.

so I cannot even image how a young Boxer would feel with so little exercise.

If the only reason your dogs are seperated is because the Boxer is too rough and big then maybe you could still walk them together so they get the benefit of dog-dog interactions without the risk to your little dog because they are on leash.

Sameeee

got a email from the lady that took Sassy. I am so glad I picked her to give Sassy a loving home.

HI Phyllis,
Sassy is a wonderful little persona, we adore her and she is so happy. We have some video of her and some pics of her doing her begging dance. She melts everyone's hearts and we are so happy that you chose us to be able to have her. Thank you again. Even though we don't have much living space right now, we sure do have alot of room in our hearts for her and she has surely filled some space in my heart when I lost Percy. Thank you.
Jane

MaryK

Honored Member
That's is so beautiful. It must make you feel so much better to know that you've not only found a wonderful home for Sassy and that she's so obviously very happy and settled, but that you've also made another person very happy after her sad loss. It was one of those events in life which, whilst it started badly, has ended with happiness all around.

Thank you so much for sharing the email, I was wondering how Sassy was going in her new home and I know just how hard it was for you to part with her. Life has some strange twists at times doesn't it. But with the happiness and love now shared between Sassy and her new Mom, it was obviously meant to be.:love::)

Dogster

Honored Member
How beautiful.:love: I'm so glad Sassy is doing well in her new home!!!:) Yes, you've made both Sassy and her new owner very happy. Truly wonderful!! Thanks for sharing!!!:D

Sameeee

I knew when I met Jane and her family that they would love Sassy and spoil her rotten lol
and would give her the best home. I really miss my wittle brat but Precious is doing so much better without Sassy here. and I know when Rocky gets to come home Precious will go into momma mode and he will be a good match for her

MaryK

Honored Member
You would, that's natural but not long to go until Rocky arrives and Precious can become "Big Momma Of the Year":)

sara

Staff member
I cant believe I missed this!

Sorry you had to rehome Sassy, but honestly? that was about the only thing you can do. what's that saying....

Dogs fight for the right to mate, Bitches fight for the right to live?

Something like that anyway. it's extremely hard, and often impossible, to stop females from fighting, once it starts. Spaying does not help, once it starts. it will only help before it starts.

Instead of getting your boys neutered, you should just get your girl spayed. She is at a high risk of Pyo the longer she goes without spaying. I say that, even though I have an intact female. I am terrified I'm going to lose her because of a metal allergy (she nearly lost her foot after having an abscess lanced with a Stainless knife) But I'm so concerned about Pyo that I'll probably pay for my vet to get all new tools (there are different metals used in surgical tools) and use the laser, put her on hefty antibiotics, anti-inflammitories and anti-histamines, and take her home right after to keep her away from their stainless kennels and bowls and such... it's going to cost me $700 to spay my 8lb dog, but i'm becoming more afraid of pyo than her metal reactions...

MaryK

Honored Member
Sara you're absolutely right about females, I had the same situation and had to rehouse the little stray, after a massive fight in which both gals were injured and the vet bills were horrendous.

My gal was already spayed and I had the stray spayed as soon as she had finished her season (she was just coming into it when I got her). Didn't do the slightest bit of good, neither did hormone medication, they just HATED each other:(

Very interested in what you said about pyo and stainless steel. Am going to google and find out more.

But Sassy now has a wonderful home and Rocky will soon be with Samee:)