excessive panting

alixe

I have a six month old female Shih tzu/yorkie mix that pants excessively. She has done this as long as I have had her (since she was six weeks old). She is not overweight and the panting is not from being excited or out of breath. She can simply be lying down with me and be breathing very rapidly with her mouth open. I have never asked her vet about it; it seems to slip my mind when she is getting shots...anyway if anyone knows any reason she might be doing this please let me know. I am worried she may have some kind of heart defect or something. Maybe i'm just overly concerned - i don't know.:dogtongue2:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I have known maaaaannny Shih Tzus who pant excessively. As for a reason, I couldn't tell you, but I would definitely ask your vet about it. Dogs with short muzzles/puggish faces can have trouble breathing and may pant a lot. Especially with her being a baby still, I would ask your vet about it ASAP. If anything is wrong, your vet may be able to fix it since you've caught it relatively early in her life.

alixe

I am definitely going to ask the vet about it. Thank you for your response and being so nice!:dogbiggrin:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
No problem. :) Keep us updated on her!! It may not be anything at all, but being such a young pup, panting that much is definitely odd. Hope all goes well. Let us know what your vet has to say.

snooks

Experienced Member
Glad ur going to the vet. I def would. It could be so many things. Even if it's a physical issue related to her head/snout shape it's good and safe to know if there are any limitations or concerns. Better safe. :dogtongue2: Let us know how everything goes. X fingers for ya.