engaging hind legs

storm22

Experienced Member
hi so koda and i are doing quite well at obedience (not bad its both our first time training obedience) and my trainer says we now just have to fine tune things and get her aware of her back legs and where they are going.

my question is does anyone know how we could get them engaged and working them?

if i was to walk backwards she'll just sit or flop over backwards (my trainer was asking me to do these things so i can see that shes not using them) her heel work is good (still working on staying in close) but when i change direction i can sometimes lose her and she'll drop back or go out wide instead of curling round.

he got me to have her facing my side and put my left foot back and lead her to follow my leg up towards my right foot and sit again, the first couple of times i kinda dragged her to my leg she was abit confused by it al:dogwacko:l, and then i gave it a rest cause she wasnt comfortable with it, so i was just wondering if anyone has other ideas which i could try with her

i know about engaging legs from a horse riders sense (but you cant really ride koda lolz:dogbiggrin:) any ideas will help thanks:dogbiggrin:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I would start teaching her tricks using them. For instance, teaching her to pick up individual legs, both legs on one side, diagonal legs, handstands(how young is she?), targetting with front and back paws, weaving through your legs, standing on a wobbly table, jumping, etc. There are many ways to help her become more aware of her limbs, and these should help. :)

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I started training Pami to stand in diffent stuff with all four legs. It's pretty easy when the object is big enough for her to stand in, but the fun comes when the box is halfas big! :D
I think it's very good for hind leg awareness.
Also you could try the thing tx_cowgirl said.
And a simple 2on2off could be useful too. :)
And maybe circling around an object with only the back legs, when her front legs are on the object.
Hope I helped! :)

szecsuani

Experienced Member
For the going backwards.
Maybe you could try getting her to stand between your legs at first. When she knows this position, you can start going backwards. I guess she will sit down at first, but then get her back to the original position and try again. At first, only one step is enough. You're not in a hurry! :)
And this way, she can turn around, since your legs are around her.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
This is something that I too am currently having to work on with Ellie.

A cheap and effective way to start your dog realising that she actually has back legs (the presence of back legs seems to be a complete mystery to most dogs) is to lay half a dozen or so broom handles on the floor.

Have your dog walk over them time after time, clicking and treating each time she walks over each one without the back paws touching them.

The above method is often used with agility poles instead of broom handles, to help rear leg awareness in agility.

stormi

I teach my dogs to back away from me first, i.e. get them standing in front of you and walking back away from you. Just click any slight movement away from you at first, then bigger movements away till your dog will confidently back away from you (preferably in a straight line). Once they can do that you can get them walking backwards beside you.

ruffmuttk9z

Backing up is not the only way to teach a dog that it has back legs. Get a box or a book or anything that is raised up off of the floor. Ask your dog to put her front feet on the item and teach her to move her back legs around the item in either direction, sort of like an elephant in the circus. Teaching spins in both directions is a good way for them to learn to push off with their back legs as well. Also, you can teach your dog to stand up from a sit using its back legs. To do this, put your dog in a sit and have a treat in a closed fist. Put your hand right in front of the dog's face, touching it if you have to. Tap the dog's back toes with your foot. Click and reward the second the back legs push out backward to stand up. You want to remember to keep the treat close to the dog's nose so it can't go forward and must push it's back legs out in order to stand up.

storm22

Experienced Member
hi guys im back from my roadtrip so i can start training koda some of these, thanks for all the suggestions im sure ill be trying most of these with both dogs

kodas only just turned 11months so she still has her puppy feet days and i dont think id like to try handstandsand that just yet cause of her growing bones, so im gunna start with the broom thing collieman suggested i could also use my agility jumps low down too, i think this would be a good start for us as i could set them far enough apart to praise and have a little play inbetween each broom

with the backing up i dont really want to try that as she likes to stand away and not be too close (something we are working on that its ok to be close enough that we trip over each other, shes used to storm pushing her out wide so staying in close is hard)

but thanks for the ideas ill try some tomorrow (its round 8pm here)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Well not necessarily the perfect handstand, but the beginning steps. Backing onto objects of different heights. That's all. ^^

storm22

Experienced Member
ok ill try that one day thakns tx_cowgirl,
i tried the weave between my legs and that has got her moving them, she will even back up now, just a couple of steps at a time but were only doing baby steps first,

it was funny i was getting her to weave in and out when i was just standing there and she soon got abit tired so she lay down and crawled round weaving through my legs, i think she wants to join in on this months challenge, shes crawling abit in the backyard too (shes trying to get closer to storm when hes eating his bones, and she'll cammando crawl up towards him)