Ellie's First Video

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Well, here it is. It really is terrible quality, but I was on my own so no zooming, I had no idea really whether I'd positioned it well enough, it was a windy day, and a bloody aircraft flew over, as you'll hear. And then, I've had to get used to the editing software. But....

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-YaSOj5VWU[/MEDIA]

Enjoy.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Thanks. She's got a hell of a long way to go. For example, when she's heeling, you'll see that she very frequently goes out wide from my leg (particularly at turns), but that's because, at this stage, I'm more interested in having her keep pace, than I am the precision, so that's really my fault and not hers. I think she's getting to the stage where we can start working on precision, but it's not yet. I sometimes have to remind myself that her total training time to date is only sixteen weeks.

Also, for some reason today, she quite often needed me to give a "go" command twice. That's very rare, and it was either the wind drowning my voice (I forget to take my whistle.), or it was me being conscious of the camera and it reflecting in my voice and tone. My guess would be the latter.

Things will get better as I get more accustomed to the filming. Thanks again for the comment.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh no! My comp won't load it. :dogsad: How terribly disappointing! =(
And now it's telling me that the video is no longer available. o-0 Grr..........curse technology.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
It's working fine for me, so I have to presume that it's available. Unless everyone else reports the same thing.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I am really amazed!!
She is really well trained. How old is she now?
And if you allow me one question:
How did you teach her to jump on your back?
Keep up this great work!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
She's six months and two weeks, meaning she's had <counts fingers> fourteen weeks of training now.

For jumping on my back (though she didn't do it very well in the video, as she'll usually stay there until she hears an "off" command)...

To train the jumping on my back, I started training the jumping into my arms (or "hug" as we call it) first. This gave her the confidence to jump up at me and on me, knowing that I wouldn't drop her or that she'd fall off.

I used the method shown in this video to teach the above.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSyaCVn2mH0[/media]
Once I'd done that, I really just knelt down, offered her her favourite ball over my shoulder, and encouraged her up. I had to start really low at first, and support her body by putting my arm behind my back and under her bum as she clambered up. Bit by bit I've managed to get higher and higher. I hope to get her to the point where she can jump up and rest on my shoulders.

I'll try to video the process next week, as I'm not sure I've explained it very well there.

Thanks for the comments.

leema

Your Ellie is very impressive for 6 months. :) Congrats to both of you on your efforts.

Also, thanks for your jumping-into-arms YouTube link.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
YAY I GOT IT TO WORK!!! Excellent work, CollieMan. Ellie's doing good for six months! Puppyhood hit Zeke at about six months, and his perfect, calm, focused training mindset went out the window. So way to go. :doghappy: Eventually I hope to get some vids of my dogs on YouTube, but I just haven't had the time. e-e But anywho, great job! Ellie seems to be a willing partner. =) Keep up the great work, both of you. Can't wait for more vids.

storm22

Experienced Member
man for six months well done it gives me insentive to train koda faster,
at six weeks shes so far learnt sit and wait (but not for long periods) and the good old respect other dogs space (shes still learning this with the older pugs they put up with lots)

l_l_a

Very nice video Collie Man! Ellie is very attentive and focused especially for such a young dog, that is very impressive. Keep up the good work! :dogbiggrin:

I especially liked how she jumped into your arms! it would make a very nice and flashy finish to a performance routine. (I would like to do that with my dog, but seeing as how he weighs 92 pounds and I am about 115 pounds, hmmm...I might have to do something else instead! )

storm22

Experienced Member
man at six months shes doing good it give me insentive to tran koda more so far at six weeks shes learnt sit and wait (for a little while i dont want her to break)

CollieMan

Experienced Member
l_l_a;2371 said:
Very nice video Collie Man! Ellie is very attentive and focused especially for such a young dog, that is very impressive. Keep up the good work!
Thanks. Though don't be fooled. It's the ball she's really focussed on. :)

I especially liked how she jumped into your arms! it would make a very nice and flashy finish to a performance routine.
Which I've always had in mind after I stole the idea from elsewhere. :)

I would like to do that with my dog, but seeing as how he weighs 92 pounds and I am about 115 pounds, hmmm...I might have to do something else instead!
Oh go on, try it. Just make sure you video it! :)