Ellie TV - Part Two

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Yes, it's a new production from Elliecam studios. :) Here she is seen collecting her fan-mail from the doormat, and delivering it to my hand.

Enjoy...

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP5dHPVqMVo[/MEDIA]

leema

She's very good at not mouthing her articles. :D She's a very controlled girl.

Mac will fetch the paper... But when it comes back, it's normally a bit teethed and, if I don't take it off him, he starts to chew up the ends... :|

l_l_a

Wow! Ellie is such a smart gal!! I bet she takes her mail-fetching job very seriously indeed! out of curiosity, does she bark at the mailman?

Our mailbox is outside the house, so my dog (thankfully) doesn't usually see the mailman. But, he does bark when the UPS or FedEx guy comes all the way up to the front door.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
l_l_a;2575 said:
....out of curiosity, does she bark at the mailman?
No. The only time she barks is if a sudden noise takes her unaware. Then it's only for a second or two.

luna may

How did you convince her to put in in her mouth? Or do you just have the luck of having a dog that lets things into his mouth? (Without spitting them out about a secont later and looking at you as if you've just ruined all chance of future global happiness, I mean :doglaugh:). Kesem won't let me put anything in her mouth- not even a pencil- and I could have all the yummiest treats in the world for all she cares... I'm trying pretty hard for your competition, but she, or me, or both of us, just can't do it... The maximum I got was a little nudge with the nose.
Umm... Help?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
From day one, we've encouraged her to be curious about objects, and allowed her to mouth different objects. Whether she's a natural mouther because of this, or whether she's a natural mouther despite this, who's to say.

When we try new objects, she will let go almost instantly, but I just click and treat after a second, then two seconds, and so on. I'm going to start her on holding her new dumbbell this week, so you'll see she can be as goofy as any other dog when she starts something new. But we have a lot of fun learning together!

Have you tried making the behaviour happen, by running the object along the dog's mouth and clicking/treating? I do that quite a lot at the start. I might pick up a pencil and put it to Ellie's mouth, and then instantly click/treat, even though she didn't actually do anything but be there. Eventually her curiosity kicks in and she starts to investigate the object for herself.