electric collar help!

lajago

Help! I have a 1 1/2 year old standard poodle mix (more poodle then anything). He goes through my invisible fence all the time and comes back through it too. We've tried turning up the shock all the way and put double shockers on him. By the way, he has done this since he was 7 months old. The weird thing - he doesn't just dart through it. He waits for the shock and stands there and twitches his back leg until the collar times out and then goes through. I'm not sure what else I can do - putting up a fence is out of the question because of restrictions. I really don't want to give this dog up but I'm starting to think I have no other option. We have 3 acres and why he feels he needs to get out of our yard is beyond me. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

fickla

Experienced Member
I'm sorry but I've think you have joined the wrong forum. This is a positive based forum where we focus on teaching the dogs what we WANT them to DO. That involves a lot of training and management.

My guess is that your dog doesn't know how to turn off the shock. Did you do the proper collar conditioning before ever using it with the fence?

Just having a lot of land doesn't take away the dog's urge to explore, nor does it automatically imply exercise. The easiest way to tire out a dog is to keep it mentally challenged. Teach him tricks, have him find your "lost" keys, etc. And in meantime get a tie out for your dog if you want to have him out for short periods each day and the rest of the day keep him with you, inside or out. A dog shouldn't be left outside unattended regardless of your type of fencing. Sorry.

chellemom

Oh piss on that, my 12 year old Golden Retriever had all the benefits of training, on the fence, in classes ... we just got a Golden puppy last year. After a dog and two kids, he just had to assimilate into the pack. Put the collar on him, no training, figured it out, has never left the yard. It's all in the type of dog you're choosing as a companion. Poodles are notoriously high strung, they will challenge everything.

BTW 2 dogs, one collar ... they just never know and don't try to challenge ...

lajago

Thanks for the info. I did train him properly to the fence. Yes, my dog is very stubborn! I didn't realize that was a poodle trait. BTW I don't leave him alone outside. Even when someone is outside with him he will take off and WILL NOT come when called (back to the stubborn trait). Other then the e-collar I have practiced ALL postive training with him. I think I need to find a trainer experienced with standard poodles. I do plan on purchasing some "challenging toys". Any suggestions?

ryleighgirl

Odds are he isn't stubborn, he just doesn't know what come (or whatever you use) means. He might have known what it was at some point, but with over using the word or without reinforcing the word it lost it's meaning. Try reteaching him a different word for come and only use the word when you can heavily reinforce it with food or a toy. I would suggest getting a long leash in the mean time and get rid of the shock collar. It isn't doing any good anyway.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I have a few thoughts. First, I agree with Ryleighgirl, you may want to start all over with a new word, maybe "here" or pick a new word, and only use that word outside, and make coming to you totally worth his while, make the reward a huge bite of great chicken or hot dog every time he comes, and make your voice really exciting (not demanding) - then release him to go back out, don't always make "come" mean he gets his collar grabbed and has to go in the house. He may be equating you saying "come" with fun being over, and who wants that? He's not being stubborn, he's being smart. I don't think dogs are deliberately stubborn, they just like to have fun, and do what works. Make doing what you want, worth his while - it will turn out to be a win/win for both of you.

As far as cranking that collar up as far as it will go - think about the pain you're inflicting (it obviously is, if it's making his back leg shake) and the damage you could be doing. You said he just stands there and twitches until it stops. He may be unable to move he may be shocking so badly - have you ever thought of that? Cruel and unusual punishment, if you ask me. What scares me more is that you say you've put double shockers on him. Try it on yourself just once around your own neck and see what you think. And don't say you HAVE to do it, there's no other way, and it's his own fault. Again, it all comes back to training.

Here's where my next thought comes in. I know you said you have 3 acres, but .. does he ever get to go out on walks outside of the fence and explore beyond the fence? Yes, 3 acres is a lot, but obviously, he'd like to see what's outside of that area. He keeps proving that to you. As Fickla said, 3 acres and a fence is not an excuse/pass from exercise. He's 1-1/2 yrs old - that's very young, he's an adolescent. Standard Poodles are very energetic dogs, they need lots of exercise. Just the fact that he has a lot of room where hecan run around, doesn't make up for a good walk with you... outside of that fence. A nice hour walk, where you two, together, as a team, can explore that area that he so obviously longs to see, might take away some of his desire to plow through that fence - cuz he knows the two of you will be walking out together. Also, do you ever work his mind doing things like trick training? Again - you have a very bright breed that needs something to work that mind. If you don't give him something, he's gonna find something on his own. He's proving that. Again - not stubborn. In his mind, resourceful. Does he like to play ball? If he had loads of exercise playing ball, chase, whatever his favorite game is, a long walk, and a couple sessions of learning a new trick every day, I bet he'd be more inclined to stick around home. He'd be much more tired, more fulfilled, and hey, he'd never quite know when something fun was about to happen at home - could happen any time ..... better not leave, we might be playing ball in a minute, or going for a walk, or playing tug, or getting out the bait bag to learn a new trick, or .... better stick around, don't wanna miss the fun! Make home be the place he loves to be more than anyplace else! Just a thought.