Eating when I eat?

tango61

HI..
just wondering if i could have some help teaching my dog tango to eat when i eat. its very frustrating when i have her feeding schedule but she never eats at the time i give her food.

leema

If she doesn't eat when you give her food, pick it up and give it to her again in 24 hours. :) Only give her 20 minutes to eat, don't leave it down for her. Dogs soon learn that the opportunity to eat is limited and decide to eat when they can!

yoyopoodle

I agree with leema :) I'm assuming you are feeding kibble, not canned? Sometimes adding a little bit of warm water will help, but my kids don't like it wet.

Just wanted to say - great avatar picture!!! I clicked to nominate you for the avatar of the month award, but I guess we've already reached the quota... too many great ones :D

tango61

yes... i do feed her kibble..
and she will not eat wet food!!
(maybe a bad experience)
and thanks... its not my dog.... i am just getting some pictures of her though....
:dogbiggrin:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I also agree with Leema. Give your dog her food only when you are eating and then remove it when you are done eating. This leaves her a 10-20 minutes window to eat her meal, and if she doesn't eat it, she doesn't get to eat that meal.

tango61

okay so say she doesnt eat her food in the morning when i eat then i take it away untill i go to school. when i eat supper i give it back?

josiebell

I had the same problem. I think I have solved it with putting something that we have eaten in his food. He was drastically underweight when we rescued him.

Now I add veggies or spud from our meals in with his food morning and night and he laps it up. Before he would not touch dry kibble. But I have to add that he only has a desert spoon full per meal and he is a GSD. Works though and we have been signed off from the vets as he had to go frequently to check he was putting on the weight.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I think five seconds wait time is a little extreme to me. I think the dog might develop a food possessiveness if it's constantly taken away like that.

sarhaspups

IMO, your dog should eat AFTER you. In the wild the pack leader eats first and then they are given what's left. I think this is a good rule of thumb to follow. Sets a good presents with your dog. Just my opinion.

tango61

I would wait probably a minute... Or even I was thinking about it. and what if i just let her eat for 20 minutes or so and then take it away. If she doesnt eat it thats her bad, and maybe tomorrow or the next feeding time she can eat again?

celticmarine

I've kinda had the opposite problem with Wookie when we first got her. She was a rescue and inhaled her food so fast she would throw it up and re-eat it a cpl times before she could keep it down. So I had to start feeding her 4-6 pieces at a time. Now I'll fill up her bowl and tell her to wait until I get her scoop put back and the rest of the food put away before she is allowed to start eating. Its kinda cute because she just stares at you with those baby eyes waiting to be told she can eat.

hockey390

When I first got my pup she was in a large litter, she inhaled the food very fast. I didn't really read anything for it, I just went ahead and would try and get her attention away from it so she knew it would still be there when she turned around to eat again.. Eventually she was fine. NOW she doesn't eat, or rarely eats.. I hate to leave food out, but have started to because I feel she isn't getting enough. However, I am going to start taking the food away if she doesn't eat. I will probably give her 30 seconds of my back turned, if she doesn't make a pass, it's up until next meal.

In your situation I would try perfecting the eating so that the dog eats everything in one sitting, once you get that down I would give him/her a wait command and then say "ok" or whatever command you want. Then once that is perfected I would put the bowl out while I was getting my food, and then give a wait command... Then an "ok" once I was sitting down.