ear powder

stormi

Hi,

I dont use ear powder on my dogs, but I know quite a few people who do. They seem to add a tiny pinch of powder to the ear when the ear starts to get smelly, or to build up with wax to clean out the gunk that is there.

With floppy eared dogs I find trimming/clipping away the hair around the entry to the ear i.e. under the flap really helpful for keeping the ear clean and dry as it allows more air to circulate around the ear.

storm22

Experienced Member
what is this ear powder called?
would it be any good on pugs, as pugzi's ears get quite smelly and she hates this liquid stuff we squirt in and rub around that we get from the vets

her ears cant be shaved like the little peek my nan has i shave her all the time shes like a new dog

brihanna

The one I use is "Excel" by 8in1, simply called ear powder. The container says provides relief from itching and irritation, keeps ears dry, helps eliminate odors, fast acting. Also works great to help grab the hair with tweezers to pluck, so my groomer says.

My dilema, is that the liquid formula pretty much says the same on it's container.

What's your preference? When use which one? Or is it equally good, a personal preference?

Things that make you go hum.

storm22

Experienced Member
plucking the hair out with tweezers OUCH!!!!
im going to look for the powder stuff, and try it out with pugzi, she hate the liquid stuff but unfortunalty needs it, she hates any water going near her face especially downs her ears (yes it is a hassle to bath that little thing, i usually end up wetter than her lolz)

stormi

The most popular ear powder in the UK seems to be one called Thornit. It costs a lot, but as you only use a small amount it lasts a long time, so I'm not sure if it works out cheaper than the liquid ear cleaners? My friends say it is cleaner than the liquid too, and some of them have found it to work better than the liquid stuff on their dogs that have ear troubles.

Personally I use a damp piece of cotton wool to clean my dogs ears if they need it, and that is usually sufficient. I dont like to put things in my dogs ears. On the odd occassion when I have a dog that needs a more heavy duty ear wax removal I use a liquid ear cleaner. I would use that before a bath though so that I can then clean away all the smelly liquid stuff.

Could you use thinning scissors instead of clippers to take back some of the hair under the flaps on a pugs ears?

josiebell

I would just like to be able to clean my dogs ears. He knows when the ear cleaner comes out of the cupboard and no matter how upbeat and how many treats I have he will not come near me.

I'm now in the process of trying out cleaning pads but he has got wise to that too.

Patience and practise I hear myself say.