Dutch Golden

Wolfsoul

Hey everyone,
I'm Daniëlle and I decided to try out a new way of keeping my 11 year old Golden Retriever Spike entertained and busy by learning him some new (senior) tricks.

bekah1001

Honored Member
Awe his so cute!.. and Welcome! Wow he is big! My golden retrievers, Brody and Riley are so small and crazy thin (but eat like pigs!). Mahoney is only big guy

Wolfsoul

Awe his so cute!.. and Welcome! Wow he is big! My golden retrievers, Brody and Riley are so small and crazy thin (but eat like pigs!). Mahoney is only big guy
Thanks! He's not that big, there are some even larger goldens in my neighbourhood. Spike eats like a pig too lol must be a golden thing ;) How old are your goldens?

Wolfsoul

Spike was I think about 4 when he seemed to be getting bigger, I think it may have to do with his fur starting to curl a bit lol.

Untill his 7th year he was always a bit underweight and when he was 5 we even had to get him to eat more to gain weight even though he already ate quite a lot but we were very active back then lol. After his 7th his arthritis became a problem though and slowly his activity has been decreasing, now he can barely walk for half an hour (that's just walking, no play of any kind). So since then he's also gained a bit of weight that we can't seem to lose even by decreasing his meals.

bekah1001

Honored Member
Awe poor pup.
Mahoney is super curly...not like a goldendoodle but I was surprised. My friend always asks me who is his stylist.
But I can feel his ribs more than the other, but he dosen't seem to gain any weight, but his dad was also very skinny

Wolfsoul

I guess there's some variety in when the coat starts curling (if ever) and how big or small the dogs are. Spike's mother was rather small and skinny but his father was much bigger. Likely the type of food and activity plays a role as well in how your dog grows. As long as they're healthy I don't mind that much how they look :)