Drontel Worming

collie23

Hi All

I know what most people are probably going to say but wanted to ask... but first the information.

Trixie was given her first Drontel Plus tablet today at about half 10 (has been on the puppy stuff). She did her usual thing of going manic (running around the house using walls and doors to stop and turn) We then took her to the new forest to acquaint her with some ponies who were very nice and she didn't bat an eyelid. We got her home and took her outside to do her business and put her lunch down, she wasn't interested at all in her food and seemed very quiet (we put this down to the car ride and busy morning/afternoon). 10 minutes later she was sick. This was about 3 o'clock.

So my questions are:
is it likely that the Drontel tablet made her sick?
Would we need to give her another dose? or is 4 hours enough time for it to have some effect?

I know your probably going to say contact the vet but wanted to ask anyway in case it has happened to anyone here.

Many thanks

Anneke

Honored Member
Well, I would keep an eye on her. Has she been throwing up since then?
Most dogs throw up very easily and if she did this only once, I wouldn't worry too much.
If one of mine feel a bit nauseous, they throw up their food too.
It could well be that she felt sick from the deworming, sometimes that happens.
I would switch to a different brand of deworming, but that's me.
I wouldn't give another dose. 4 hours is more than enough to digest and you don't want to give an overdose of this stuff;)
It could also just be that she has just been too busy that day. I remember my Jinx trhowing up after a very busy few hours, when she was that young.
So it might be that the combination of deworming and the excitement of the day caused her to be sick.

Keep a close eye on her and if you think something might be wrong, do go and see the vet.
But if it was a one time thing, don;t worry too much. Like I said, dogs tend to get rid of the thing that makes them feel sick very easily.
Hope she feels better!

Honored Member
Holly reacts when she gets Drontel de-worming pills.

The first time she got it she vomited (but only once) but we thought maybe it was from eating too much hotdog because we had been doing a lot of training so we decided to use Drontel again just in case it was a coincidence.

So the second time she got the Drontel (a few months later) with her dinner and then an hour or two later she was vomiting (this time she hadn't had any treats so we knew it was the Drontel), she vomited until there was nothing left but water, then she just sat in a corner shivering. I had to make her a bed next to a heater and set up her puppy pen to make sure she didn't vomit water all over the house (not that she wanted to move). She looked really sick and sad :( . Those are the only times that Holly has ever vomited.

But she was fine by the morning and we just gave her a light breakfast of chicken.

I haven't wormed her again since then but I will next week and it will be a different type of de-worming pill.

Also, I don't know if a dog reacting to one drug makes it more likely they will react to others (maybe they are more sensitive?) but Holly reacted to Fentanol when she got speyed,
So maybe if your dog reacts badly to Drontel be aware that she could also react to other medication (although she might be fine and it could just be Drontel that isn't good).

collie23

Thank you.
This is the first time its happened and she has not thrown up since but still seems a little under the weather. She was very quiet for the afternoon but perked up in the evening. We fed her chicken with a little puppy food which she bolted down, started looking for more so I put some more puppy food down, but she didn't seem bothered (guess the chicken was better lol)
This morning she still seemed a little down, turned down her puppy food again until we put some gravy on it and only ate half. So still a little worried - she hasn't eaten a great deal. :(

I do think it was a mix of everything, worming, busy day and trying her with some new foods (she loves salmon :) )
We'll keep an eye on her and mention it to the vet see what they suggest.

Thats really sad about Holly, makes you feel so helpless cos there's not much you can do :( Just good that it didn't last long for her

MaryK

Honored Member
One of my boys had the same reaction as Holly. Can really feel for you, it's ghastly, and nothing you can do either except as you did, make the dog comfortable.

I now get my boys wormed at the vets. Whatever they use seems to agree with them. I don't want a repeat of the Drontal experience, poor dog was just so sick.:sick:

collie23

I will speak to the vet next time i go as Drontel seems to have a bad effect on a lot of dogs :(
Trixie is doing better but still having toilet troubles. So looks like it was the Drontel and maybe the mix of food.

Would be easier if they could tell you what was painful, they do keep you guessing :)

MaryK

Honored Member
It sure does look like Drontal may be the culprit. I agree if only they could tell us where or what is hurting, and what they think made them sick.

How is Trixie now? Is she back to normal?

collie23

She's doing better, back to her old personality, but still not quite right in the stomach. But we've cut down a lot on the tit bits to help and managed to finally get her onto one food which should make it better soon (when we got her she was on a mix of 4 different foods :S - can't of been helping)

MaryK

Honored Member
So glad to hear that she's back to her old personality. Good idea to cut down on the tit bits for now and glad you've finally managed to get her onto one food, that must have been a worry before with such a mix of foods.

Please keep us posted. Hope by now her stomach is settled poor baby.

collie23

Yeah i couldn't believe that she was on four food brands. plus wanted to get her onto a different one (bit of a nightmare lol)
She's nearly back to normal, stomach is settling down nicely but still not giving her too many extras (i've learned from that mistake :) )

Thank you for your kind words :) she's such a good little girl and hate to see her unwell

MaryK

Honored Member
Hard to credit she was on four food brands. Sure must have been a nightmare trying to get her to change to just one.

LOL I think we've all learned the lesson of too many treats, it's hard to resist those 'eyes' though isn't it. But I would still keep her treats low at present.

I know, it's awful when they're sick you feel so helpless. Maybe a little cooked rice would help settle her stomach???

She's a real sweetie just love that black/white face, she looks like a lovely cuddly teddy bear:love::)

collie23

Yeah it was, and should've done it differently, but it's worked out alright.

I'm trying to use her kibble as her treats atm but sometimes she's not interested, so perhaps not training her as much as i should, but really don't want to make her any worse again.

We had her on chicken mixed with a bit of kibble for a couple of days which worked nicely for her (until we put her back onto just kibble and it wasn't quite as tasty :) )

I know, we fell in love instantly - can you believe they didn't keep her because she wasn't classic marking????? other than her colour she was the pick of the litter but they said she wouldn't be any good for showing!! :0

collie23

that makes the breeders sound awful, which i don't mean to!!
they were really nice and we got a great little girl out of their choice.

MaryK

Honored Member
that makes the breeders sound awful, which i don't mean to!!
they were really nice and we got a great little girl out of their choice.
I understand. Breeders can be lovely people but when it comes to markings, etc., they are pretty exacting. Their loss your gain - I ADORE her markings, should be made 'standard':love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Yeah it was, and should've done it differently, but it's worked out alright.

I'm trying to use her kibble as her treats atm but sometimes she's not interested, so perhaps not training her as much as i should, but really don't want to make her any worse again.

We had her on chicken mixed with a bit of kibble for a couple of days which worked nicely for her (until we put her back onto just kibble and it wasn't quite as tasty :) )

I know, we fell in love instantly - can you believe they didn't keep her because she wasn't classic marking????? other than her colour she was the pick of the litter but they said she wouldn't be any good for showing!! :0
Maybe just try something like very small pieces of cheese for her treats as it sounds like kibble is just a little too boring for her. Or perhaps a little chicken maybe be better, as she's having that mixed with her kibble and it's very gentle on upset tums.

Just take it easy with training until her stomach is right back to normal, we don't like working when we feel off color so she may not feel like doing much until her stomach is completely better.

Her marking are so beautiful, I LOVE them and would have been the same 'instant love affair'!:love::)

collie23

I understand. Breeders can be lovely people but when it comes to markings, etc., they are pretty exacting. Their loss your gain - I ADORE her markings, should be made 'standard':love:
I know! I don't think you can see them in the pictures, but she actually has beauty spots as well :) they make her even more gorgeous :) (i am biased though) :)

Maybe just try something like very small pieces of cheese for her treats as it sounds like kibble is just a little too boring for her. Or perhaps a little chicken maybe be better, as she's having that mixed with her kibble and it's very gentle on upset tums.

Just take it easy with training until her stomach is right back to normal, we don't like working when we feel off color so she may not feel like doing much until her stomach is completely better.

Her marking are so beautiful, I LOVE them and would have been the same 'instant love affair'!
Yeah thats a good idea, i know she likes cheese, but i know they can't have it in large amount cos its dairy (thats why you said 'very small peices' im guessing) :)

Haha i think she's up for work (running round the garden like a loony - i'm bout to post another thread on this and would love your advice) but small peices and amounts of food.

MaryK

Honored Member
Yes it is dairy and also too much can be fattening, especially the hard cheeses which are the best:D I wouldn't use low fat though, as that's generally got a lot of additives which help 'flavor' it.

Great to hear she's up and running like a loony:LOL:(y) Definitely up for work now. Am going through my alerts, and I also always check new threads, so will see what you new thread is all about and will of course help in anyway I can.:)

collie23

Didn't know that so thank you. Will avoid low fat and stick to fatty stuff (thats all we eat anyway :) )

Her loony state is hilarious :)

Its posted under behaviour problems (not sure it actually classes as a problem) Thank you :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Love to see her loony state. Did try to get your vid up but even though I logged in, still will not let me through. Try unlisted, as I suggested on the thread, that's what I do as it will NOT send your vid public but will allow people with the url, as on this forum, to get through.:)

Yes we only have the 'fatty' stuff, which actually in moderation, isn't as bad as it's made out to be:rolleyes::D

Going over to behavior problems now to check your new thread.:)

collie23

Ahh i'm a first time youtube user so didn't know that - i think i've now changed it so will hopefully work on the thread - thank you :)