Drinking Manners: Dry Your Beard

Elliot DMDS

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum so I hope this trick doesn't exist yet, but since it's a very funny one I thought I might share it with you. I have a very long haired dog, a briard (french sheepdog) that used to drop water anywhere in my apartment after drinking. I had to jump up everytime he took a sip and dry his face with a towel.
With some clicker training I could make him do this himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtLJaj11AM
Next step is adding distance!
have fun watching,
cheers

Sammie Dunn

That is a great idea :) I might teach Coco this as he is beginning to do the same thing. How did you do it? Did you just use a vocal command and the clicker when you did it and then try it for him to do it? :)

Elliot DMDS

Hi sammie,
I started with clicking the behavior of lying his chin onto sth, think it was on my knees first.
Elliot likes to put his head on my knees to get my attention when I sit somewhere, maybe your dog does that too?
After some C&T I put a towel on my knees so he would understand that it was about the towel.
Then I put the towel next to the bowl without me and clicked any interaction with it. Soon he remembered it was about the chin ;
After that I added the cue, and started asking for it after drinking. In the video you can see that he even went there before I said the cue :)
Hope that helps

Sammie Dunn

Thanks alot. I am definatly going to try this with Coco first thing tomorrow as now he is sooo tired from the day of training that he jsut wants to sleep! haha

fly30

Experienced Member
Nice, cute and useful trick.

Slightly different, I taught Fly how to dry her paws and whole body on a carpet before coming in the house.

Sammie Dunn

How did you teach Fly that? Fly is gorgeous btw. I would love to teach Coco to wipe his paws when he comes in the door cause typical Scotland weather is around just now. :)

fly30

Experienced Member
Oh you're in Scotland ! I would love to visit this country.
Thanks for Fly. For her paws, I taught her by doing it myself with my hands, then my feet. Dogs like imitating us. Then for her body, I was so surprised when she did it herself. We were back from our morning walk at the lake and she was wet and dirty. We came home and she wiped her paws, then she wiped her whole body on the carpet, then shook herself and came in. I was amazed.

If you want to teach Coco, use the same carpet for teaching as the one that will be at his disposal in the house. He will regognize it straight away and will understand what you want.

http://youtu.be/XskDJDosG8s

Sammie Dunn

You should come visit Scotland. Bring a raincoat just in case :D :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the video. I will need to teach Coco that asap :)

Elliot DMDS

@jordyqunit: Thank you!
@fly30: great idea, I started to work on the same trick months ago, but I somehow forgot about it. Thanks for sharing and reminding me :)