Dogs in the news 001


Well-Known Member
They say pets can help you live longer, and that's certainly the case for a family in Gloucester.

NewsCenter 5's Jim Boyd reported Monday that the family's dog is being called a hero, after helping the family escape from a burning home.

The fire broke out in the three-story home on Plum Street at about 3 a.m. Everyone inside the home was asleep at the time, but Simba, the family's 14-year-old dog, sensed that something was wrong.

"She jumped up and she started rolling around on my back next to my shoulder, and it woke me up out of a dead sleep," resident Chris Kippen said.

He said that once he smelled smoke, he ran throughout the building.

"We ran downstairs and said, 'Everybody out of the house. The house is on fire,'" Kippen said.

Eight people escaped the flames. One firefighter was treated and released for minor injuries.

The family was put up in a hotel, where they treated the dog to pizza.

"Thank God for my brother's dog. I never thought I'd be saying that because she is kind of a menace once in a while -- she gets into the trash, but she is a good dog. She saved us all, so good for her," resident Andrew Kippen said.

Fire officials said that the blaze started near the fireplace