Doggy Stretches?

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
So I have been invited to do a dog trick demo for an organization that does a yearly event/ fundraiser. They do a run in the morning and I was asked to do a little demo showing how dogs can stretch before the big race and someone else will be doing a warm up with the runners.

So I am trying to come up with different stretches and tricks that are stretching related. For example...bow, lifting legs...etc.

So my question is do you have any good dog exercise/ stretches resources...websites/ youtube videos etc. that would be helpful for this project?

What types of tricks can you come up with that could be exercising, stretching, warming up?

MaryK

Honored Member
Cannot get the first video:( Second one is great, that's what I do with my guys. Also you can take the front leg and stretch that out and then very gently (do all gently of course no forcing) take it back so the paw is facing to the dogs hind quarters, this will stretch the shoulders etc.

ackerleynelson

Starting a routine physical activity and stretching program for your dog is important to maintaining his/her comfort, flexibility, and quality of life.
Front Leg Stretches
For the front leg, place one hand by the dog's elbow, and place your other hand by the dog's paw. Gently motion the leg as if the dog were peddling a bicycle. Ask the dog to gently stretch the leg forward to straighten the elbow, and then stretch it back toward the hind leg. You can rotate the leg about 3- 4 times in a circular motion, staying in one plane like peddling a bicycle. You can also hold the leg in an extended position for about 15-30 seconds and repeat 2-3 times. This is a great exercise for the shoulder flexors and helps to keep the front legs moving freely.
Neck and Back Stretches
Use a favorite food to help the dog stretch its neck. Have the dog follow the treat around to each side, by the dog's elbow, without moving its feet. Then have the dog follow the treat, out in front of its nose, and above its head to stretch the neck up and forward. Then have the dog follow the treat around to its hind legs, while keeping its feet planted in the same position. This is good to stretch the dog's neck and back. It is helpful to engage the dog's abdominal and back muscles.

MaryK

Honored Member
That's a good one for the Neck and Back stretches. Keeping Leaf still though will be the difficult part, she is so foodorientated she 'mugs' me for food. Thank you for the clear description.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Starting a routine physical activity and stretching program for your dog is important to maintaining his/her comfort, flexibility, and quality of life.
Front Leg Stretches
For the front leg, place one hand by the dog's elbow, and place your other hand by the dog's paw. Gently motion the leg as if the dog were peddling a bicycle. Ask the dog to gently stretch the leg forward to straighten the elbow, and then stretch it back toward the hind leg. You can rotate the leg about 3- 4 times in a circular motion, staying in one plane like peddling a bicycle. You can also hold the leg in an extended position for about 15-30 seconds and repeat 2-3 times. This is a great exercise for the shoulder flexors and helps to keep the front legs moving freely.
Neck and Back Stretches
Use a favorite food to help the dog stretch its neck. Have the dog follow the treat around to each side, by the dog's elbow, without moving its feet. Then have the dog follow the treat, out in front of its nose, and above its head to stretch the neck up and forward. Then have the dog follow the treat around to its hind legs, while keeping its feet planted in the same position. This is good to stretch the dog's neck and back. It is helpful to engage the dog's abdominal and back muscles.
Thanks! River can do neck stretches pretty well. We need more work on the leg stretches.

MaryK

Honored Member
Fantastic!!!!!!!!! Loved every moment and Rivers is such a tidy boy, puts his weight away too:D

Love the way you talk to him all the time. I keep getting pulled up at the dog school for 'talking to much' to Leaf. I ignore them, as she loves me to talk to her;)