Doggie Dancing - Hey Collieman!!

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
Hey Collieman, was just reading your blog because its been awhile and the doggie dancing one reminded me of a video I saw that I just LOVE! And the dog apparently loves it too. I watched it again to see if I could find the things you spoke of and couldn't. Anyway here it is.

To everyone else let me know what you think.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbVbPvlDoM[/MEDIA]

P.S. this is not my video.

dat123

Experienced Member
achieve1dream;13838 said:
Hey Collieman, was just reading your blog because its been awhile and the doggie dancing one reminded me of a video I saw that I just LOVE! And the dog apparently loves it too. I watched it again to see if I could find the things you spoke of and couldn't. Anyway here it is.

Just a little information....
That particular dog , "Rookie" , died just recently. Carolyn , her owner is disabled ( you wouldn't know it ) and is responsable for a lot of people getting interested in Canine Freestyle (dog dancing) with that particular video being extremley popular around the world, and prompting a lot of golden retriever owners to take up the sport.

R.I.P Rookie

snooks

Experienced Member
this video and my shy dog's enjoyment is what got me started teaching her this stuff.

one of my other inspirations/mentor was a trainer that competed in agility with a major disability and you'd never know it by her dog's times. she can walk slowly and with difficulty. it built my confidence that with a lesser disability I could do this and more.

I didn't know Rookie died. It's so sad to hear. his reverse back so far and that flirty paw are two things I just loved. my girl can to the flirty paw to my hip and we're working on that great reverse far away. she's got it up to about 20'--we're working up. loads of fun for a clicker savvy dog. I use it to help calm her when she's scared and it really builds confidence.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I know this video, and it really is good, but I don't really know why it is so popular, as I have seen plenty more videos, that deserve to be more popular.

But I just love how Rookie loves what he is doing!

And Doggie dancing is one of my favorite dog sports, next to agility. :D

snooks

Experienced Member
szecsuani;13888 said:
I know this video, and it really is good, but I don't really know why it is so popular, as I have seen plenty more videos, that deserve to be more popular.

But I just love how Rookie loves what he is doing!

And Doggie dancing is one of my favorite dog sports, next to agility. :D

I think if you read the tribute page and all that Carolyn (polio and heart defect) and Rookie (fearful) overcame you'll see why. Stories with people overcoming the odds at their center never cease to be inspirational. I'm old enough to have living relatives that were crippled by polio. That she was doing this quality of work and her clear deep bond with that dog are probably why it affects people so. Overcoming the odds and stories of courage are always inspiring and have a way of making other things in life seem small by comparison. :dogsmile:

szecsuani

Experienced Member
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuo-2JGjYUE[/MEDIA]

This is what I think is a real inspiration.
This is a hungarian parAgility competitor, on their very first world championship.
I have seen them on other competitions too, and it almost makes me cry every time.
She can't speak or walk (she's in a wheelchair, but Ias far as I know her dad brings her around the course), and the dog still understands her.

snooks

Experienced Member
Almost...heck I outright cried. That's inspriation. When your dog training goes bad it isn't really that bad in the correct perspective. :dogsmile:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
achieve1dream;13838 said:

What were the things Collie Man saw (?in a doggie dancing video?) that you were looking for?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I presumed it was my blog entry of a while ago where I mentioned my dislike or lack of understanding towards 'doggy dancing', especially when there are 'silly' costumes and such like involved.

Looking at the still of this video, I presume there are no costumes. I haven't watched it, as it really doesn't interest me at all. No offence intended to those who undoubtedly love it. As I said previously, each to their own.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Ah, thanks for the reply, i wondered what the other poster was referring to....thought i might learn something......(ha, i did snoop all thru your blogs, trying to find what you had mentioned, you are an excellent writer, btw!! Your dogs surely come alive in your writings!)
..see, i was wondering, if, like there was some kind of signal the dogs don't enjoy it or something that you were able to detect, then i was gonna re-watch the videos to see if i could spot whatever it was you saw, too. Guess i just misunderstood. I'm learning so much on this board! I am learning more and more about 'dog body language', and i THOUGHT i knew a lot about that, but i have lots more to learn!!

Yeah, to each his own! Collie man, this one IS safe=There are no costumes, and it WAS a fascinating video, i have no idea how people can teach all those things to the dogs! And so in-sync, with each other, wow. I can't even get my man to dance THAT insync!!! bah ha ha!!

I watched it twice, trying to detect the human's signals, they are very subtle to my untrained eye. Some cues i can see, some i cannot make out exactly how the human signalled the next move to the dog. (ha, guess she is lucky i am not her dog!! ha ha!!!):msngiggle:
Plus, i suppose, my dog jumps the gun on his tricks sometimes, and starts the next trick even before i say anything, so i have to mix them up (we only have a few to work with so far)...so maybe the dancing dogs also sort of already start to do the next thing partly out of habit as well as getting a cue i can't see. but it is amazing to me. Even the eye contact, is so cool....

snooks

Experienced Member
Have you thought about an agility, rally, freestyle, or obedience class. You'll get a lot of the answers there. If you see the focus in Collieman's vid of the dog on him that is a big part of the equation. She also trusts him, it's VERY obvious. Look also at Lonewolfblues vids. That laser focus and teaching the right timing and signals to the dog is what makes a success. Correct use of clickers, treats and fading both at appropriate levels is also key.