Dog Whistle Cues

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Are there like, "official" list of whistle noises for various cues ?? wow, that would be fun to see a whole bunch of dogs ALL sit or lie down, all at same time, from same whistle noise, wouldn't it??:eek:

SD&B

Experienced Member
I don't know, but what kind of whistle did you get? Is it a regular "silent" dog whistle, or a whistle like they use in sports and hunting, or a sheepherding whistle or something else?

I sure would like to know this information myself.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
The one for herding. I take it this one you can make several different noises with it. I was just curious if there was any 'official' sounds for different commands. I may just come up with my own. ;)

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
A few things I found:

Retriever Whistle Commands

Standard Whistle Commands
Sit A single short whistle. Dog must quickly stop and squarely sit facing you, and then wait for your verbal, whistle or visual command
Come Two quick whistles. Dog must come to you immediately
Find It A quick single whistle followed by a single rising/lowering whistle. Dog must commence hunting for a dead bird in a tight area
Optional Whistle Commands
Change Direction When the dog is quartering, a single quiet chirp. Dog must change direction and continue quartering. I use a silent whistle for this because in a real hunting situation, the dog should not be more than 40 yards away.
Down A single long whistle from the sitting position. Dog must lay down and remain until released
http://www.sportdogtraining.net/retriever-whistle-commands/

RECALL: three long bleets- a call to bring the dog back to you, preferably back within a few yards, which in turn you would then command to heel, if you do not intend to continue further on down the field.

WHOA: One long bleet- the dog should stop in its tracks, standing awaiting a release command to continue.

TURN:(left or right): Two short bleets- the dog should turn and look to you to get a hand signal, (a direction) which then you would command the dog to turn left or right via an exaggerated arm motion to one side or the other.

HANDSIGNALS: Whoa: in the pointing dog world, a hand straight out, palm side out as if to say HOW, like an Indian, means stop.

RECALL: Hand , open and down to the side palm out (heel side) means to come in and get to heel. Two outstretched arms means " Hey, where did ya go? You've been gone for twelve minutes!" or "I gotta quit this game and take up GOLF!" Two hands pulling at your hair means, "Why did you not listen to my command!?" Fist in mouth (biting Down) means, "why didn't I get a placement at this Trial!?" Seriously though,

These are a few signals you can work in to your routine when training your new pup. Keep it simple, no morse code, no difficult chords, and no sign language hand signals, just be basic and try to have some fun.
http://www.versatiledogs.com/ask/point49.html

Lie Down One long blast Stops dog
Come Here Whee-Whee-Wheet Brings dog to handler
Walk Up Two short whistles Moves dog straight toward the livestock
Come By Wheet-Wheeeo Moves dog around the livestock clockwise
Way to Me Whee-Who Moves dog around the livestock counter-clockwise
Get Out Wheet-Wheeo-Wheet-Wheet Moves dog away from the livestock
Look Back Who-Hee-Who Turns dog around to go gather more livestock
Take Time Hee-Hee-Hee-Hee Slows dog to a steady pace
That'll Do Hee-Hee-Hee-Hee Orders dog to quit working
http://www.sheepdogwhistle.com/sounds3.html

They make a CD of examples and commands as well if you wanted one:
http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=K9X724CD

The following should be learned as a pup 2 months old and up

• Come
  • No
  • Right here
  • Down
  • There/Stand
  • Out
  • Stay vs. okay
  • Heel
  • Up (pronounced Hup)
  • That'll Do - (done working) repeat quickly three times
  • Steady or Easy
  • Gently
  • Over (optional)
  • Bring it here (optional)
  • Sit (optional)
  • Where's the (ball, frisbee, etc.)
  • Pull
  • Drop it
  • Get in the (truck, car, pen, etc.)
hi low hi

(directly to you)
long low blast
short low blast
low hi low

short hi blast
hi low hi

low hi dropping off slowly
(when taking food)
(flip over on back)

(rope, door, latch)
(the ball, rope, later sheep grip)
short blast hi

The following commands should be learned with stock at 6-14 months old

• Come by (by)
  • Way to me (way)
  • Walk in (walk)
  • Look back
  • Hold 'em
  • Bring 'em here
  • Shed (come between sheep)
  • Schist
  • Get 'em
clockwise (low hi-come by)
counter clockwise hi low
two short low
hi lower highest

3 short hi
(grip animal gently)
(grip the sheep hard)
http://www.wellscroft.com/farm/dogs/dogsTraining.html

That should get you started! [The last one didn't post correctly - try the link]

SD&B

Experienced Member
Can I ask where you got the whistle from? I haven't seen them in the local Petsmart.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Lisa, that was quite resourceful!

SD&B, I had to order it online on this site. I got a silent one and a herding one, to see what I can have fun with. ;)