Dog Warts

bellapup

I thought I'd share some info and maybe learn more since I just discovered it and didn't happen to see it anywhere on this forum.

I just noticed today that Bella had a few little brown rough balls growing on the side of her bottom lip. It looks like little pieces of dried food stuck to her mouth. They don't bother her, but it does look strange. I think I might have seen them a bit yesterday but I'm not sure.

After a little research, I found out that in puppies 2 years and younger, they can get something called Canine Papilloma Virus. It is contagious only between dogs and from what I read, it usually goes away by itself although in some extreme cases an anti-viral injection is used and/or a small surgical procedure is used to remove them. Dogs usually get them from dog parks, training schools, basically anywhere there is exposure to lots of dogs.

Fortunately, we see the vet on Tuesday so I'll be able to get more info...but if anyone knows anything more about this, please do share. I'm not sure if this means I should forgo visits to the park until they go away, or if since most of the dogs in the park are much older and have a mature immune system it shouldn't be a problem...

Anyway, just thought I'd share. :doghappy:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Hmm...interesting. I know with horses it's quite common for the younger ones to get wart-like growths on their face, but they go away on their own. I've never had a dog get these that you're talking about but I wouldn't be too deathly concerned. Your vet will be able to tell you for sure though. :)

bellapup

Tx, I'd be curious if it's indeed the same thing that the horses get. They did say that the mouth warts would go away on their own in most cases as well. Do the horses ever seem bothered by them?

I seriously tried to brush them away with my fingers until I realized they were attached to her. *L*

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yes with horses they are always located on the face, almost always on the muzzle. I have a 4 year old filly that started having them on her lips and nose about five months ago. After asking our vet about them he told us they would go away, that it was nothing to worry about unless they were persistent. They have since disappeared. She never seemed bothered with them at all, really. If I remember right, I think our vet said it was similar to an equine strain of papilloma.

storm22

Experienced Member
luka used to get them and pimples, we got some cream from the vet (its was the same stuff i put on our young horse)

our vet told us to make sure he didnt rub them till they bleed (sometimes he would) cause that will let infections in, so keep an eye on hers and clean them up if they look a little wet, moister didnt help lukas sores (it is a bit hard when there around the dogs mouth)

bellapup

Yeah, I've noticed they've gotten a bit bigger since. She hasn't scratched at them or licked, so I'm assuming she barely even knows they are there. Now that I look at them I seem to remember seeing a neighbor's dogs with them...multiples of them all over their mouth and chin. It was kind of gross, and probably an indication of how the neighbor was keeping them, because these dogs never got rid of them. They were really dangerous dogs, too.

Do either of you remember how long it took for them to disappear?

I'll update after the vet visit tomorrow.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Well, Sassy(the horse mentioned above) had them for at least a month or two. But I don't know if dogs would have them that long...hmm...

bellapup

You were absolutely right on, tx. The vet looked at them, verified the papilloma virus, and said they would be gone in about a month. She said she'd seen much worse cases and that Bella's two were definitely nothing. She also said that Bella shouldn't get anymore now; they must form a resistance to the virus once they get it...kind of like chicken pox for us. *L* Except not as itchy for her, I'm sure.

The two sores have bloomed a bit and now look like the signature cauliflower that some people talk about.

Ew.

The vet said that if she accidentally scratches them off, they will bleed a bit but will immediately stop. She didn't say anything about holding off from taking Bella to the park or anything, so I guess we're fine all the way around. :dogsmile:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
That's good. :) I think Bella wouldn't be too happy if she had to be quarantined from the park again right after her spay experience. Lol poor thing. Glad everything's okay.