Dog Trick Props

legendsmami

Now that Legend knows the Ring Toss trick(from 101 Dog Tricks) I wanted to make a better prop for it. I was practicing with The Fisher Price Rock a Stack base and some pool diving rings(which I love for bigger dogs). I wanted to make a new base something more colorful. Here is what I was thinking- PVC pole covered in colored tape with PVC cap. Attached to a 5way PVC connector with 4short arms and PVC caps. I went to Home Depot and No luck on the connector. Plan B....well I don't have one that's where hopefully someone could help me! :-)

Anneke

Honored Member
I only recently started this trick and I don't have the rock a stack(still looking for a second hand one) So I use a rubber ring(dog toy) and a small pilon

I was thinking about making something myself, so I'll watch this thread to see what comes up;)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
IF SO, if that is close,
maybe maybe an alternative could be,
drill holes into a super wide PVC pipe, and stick dowels through the holes, either,
alll the way through, so each dowel comes out on both sides of center pipe,
or, have each drilled hole only have half of a dowel coming out.

OR, am i not even close....:ROFLMAO:

pvc toy2.png

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOL! WAIT! WAIT! I JUST NOW understand, you mean like photo in reply #3, only upside down, is that it?:ROFLMAO::rolleyes::notworthy:

yeah, i was just wondering, "how will she get the thing to stand up straight, she must plan to push it way into dirt...?"
and then, it finally dawned on me, you wanted the 5way connector to be the BOTTOM of this toy, and serve as a base that holds the main stick upright, right??

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
If you tried a 3-way PVC connector FOR THE BASE, you might also want to think about some way to weight the item down a bit, maybe fill center pole with marbles or something, so it wouldn't tip over too easy...?

pvc toy3.png

legendsmami

They don't sell three way connectors in store boooo! (they are awesome for making elevated dog bed corners!)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH WOW, THAT IS SO UTTERLY COOL!! (can i have your old one, if you make a new one?) hee hee

Hope you post a photo of your new design!! Ey, you could maybe market your clever design, and we can all say, "we knew her when...." when you are all famous as Kong and stuff.:D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
also, they sell special spray paint for plastic items, too, you might could paint some neat designs on it, if the tape thing doesn't work out. You could put masking tape on the pole, and paint stuff, and then remove the tape, too, to make designs.

i want a 10% commission on all your sales, okay?:ROFLMAO:

SD&B

Experienced Member
You can also use a t-connector at the bottom and then "zigzag" the supports flat on the ground with elbows. I have a friend who did that for agility jumps.

Long pole into t. 2 short arms coming out of t. elbows on end of each short arm. Short arms connected to elbows laying flat going in opposite directions to each other. You could even do another short arm off of elbows for more stabilization if needed or make a more intricate design.

SD&B

Experienced Member
P.S. With my design, it would be best to glue your PVC. Easy to do, you just have to have the glue.

legendsmami

also, they sell special spray paint for plastic items, too, you might could paint some neat designs on it, if the tape thing doesn't work out. You could put masking tape on the pole, and paint stuff, and then remove the tape, too, to make designs.

i want a 10% commission on all your sales, okay?:ROFLMAO:
Spray paint sounds alot easier than tape! 10% you got it! Lol

legendsmami

You can also use a t-connector at the bottom and then "zigzag" the supports flat on the ground with elbows. I have a friend who did that for agility jumps.

Long pole into t. 2 short arms coming out of t. elbows on end of each short arm. Short arms connected to elbows laying flat going in opposite directions to each other. You could even do another short arm off of elbows for more stabilization if needed or make a more intricate design.
Is it bad I had to look up what a t-connector looks like? *Hides face* lol. That is an awesome idea. I will probably make one of these as well. My boy is a bull in a China shop when it comes to his excitement with doing tricks and playing. Sheesh! Thank you for this idea!

***Oh and just in case someone wanted to know what Kyra used in her book 101dog tricks for this trick as the base. It was a table top PVC base. It is not a common part So in most cases has to be ordered. I asked on Fb too. :-)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
hope you will post some photos of your final version, i am getting inspired to make some stuff now!!:ROFLMAO:
who knows, maybe we can all get rich by inventing dog toys and stuff?:ROFLMAO:

SD&B

Experienced Member
Is it bad I had to look up what a t-connector looks like? *Hides face* lol.

***Oh and just in case someone wanted to know what Kyra used in her book 101dog tricks for this trick as the base. It was a table top PVC base. It is not a common part So in most cases has to be ordered. I asked on Fb too. :-)
Not bad at all, lol. The nice thing about t's is they are easy to find and cheap. You can do a lot with them. I used them for agility equipment - weave poles and jumps.

Yeah, you can get 5-way connectors, but I've never found them at a home improvement store, though. Only online.