Dog Play Styles

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Yeah, well, good thing I didn't alert the media.:( Seems it was a one-time only deal. He's back to the chase and drop method. Sigh.
Oh well, you will just have to play fetch every time you see a duck, LOL!

Have you tried turning around and walking or running away as he is coming to you. Maybe clapping calling him or making a whistle noise to encourage him to come farther as he is coming back. It may just distract him and he might just drop it, but it is worth a try.

Do you have a fenced in yard? You could try playing inside then immediately go out side and try playing.

Maybe work on trading the ball for a treat and then increase distance.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Oh well, you will just have to play fetch every time you see a duck, LOL!

Have you tried turning around and walking or running away as he is coming to you. Maybe clapping calling him or making a whistle noise to encourage him to come farther as he is coming back. It may just distract him and he might just drop it, but it is worth a try.

Do you have a fenced in yard? You could try playing inside then immediately go out side and try playing.

Maybe work on trading the ball for a treat and then increase distance.
Unfortunately, I have tried all of those things. I had been working on retrieve in the house, teaching him to drop the ball in my hand, and he did really well. The first time I took him to the park to play, I started with small distances and putting the ball in my hand, and he was fine with that. As soon as we increased the distance, he would only bring it back so far, and then drop it. I started chasing the ball with him and then turning around and running back. Sometimes he follows me for a bit and then stops, other times he drops the ball. If I pick up the ball with the chucker and run, he just stops dead and watches me run all the way back. I turn around and find him just sitting there watching me, way back, waiting for me to throw the ball again.

We do have a fenced yard, but it is small with two different levels separated by a retaining wall and a small concrete stairway. He has fallen on the stairway once or twice when running, and I am a little scared of having him jumping off of the wall (about 3 feet high) which is what he prefers to do. It is also very distracting for him there with dogs and small children on 3 sides. The school ground actually has less distractions and is a safer place to run. It's just a little frustrating that he doesn't like to bring the ball all the way back. He's not getting the most exercise out of our time, plus, when I go get the ball for him, he is not learning anything. I am just stumped as to how to teach him, when food is not even enough of a reinforcer, and ending the game is not really a good option either.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
What about if you throw it and he brings it half way back, then you go get it and toss it like three feet away from you. If it works then you can try every time he brings it partially back, go get it and give it a very short toss to see if he will get it.

MaryK

Honored Member
I wish Veronica could play by herself and keep herself entertained!!

She doesn't get along with other dogs; so I have to act as a stand in! O_o :X3:
(She likes it rough!)

Veronica is so gentle, even in 'rough house' play. Love her vocals, she sure loves to chat! Gotta love the 'bite your bum' play:love: Met a Pittie the other day (heavily 'disguised as an American Staffie as Pitties are illegal here) and he's very soft mouthed, though will give you a full on Pittie Love Fest. Other Pitties I've known have also been soft mouthed too.

MaryK

Honored Member
Unfortunately, I have tried all of those things. I had been working on retrieve in the house, teaching him to drop the ball in my hand, and he did really well. The first time I took him to the park to play, I started with small distances and putting the ball in my hand, and he was fine with that. As soon as we increased the distance, he would only bring it back so far, and then drop it. I started chasing the ball with him and then turning around and running back. Sometimes he follows me for a bit and then stops, other times he drops the ball. If I pick up the ball with the chucker and run, he just stops dead and watches me run all the way back. I turn around and find him just sitting there watching me, way back, waiting for me to throw the ball again.

We do have a fenced yard, but it is small with two different levels separated by a retaining wall and a small concrete stairway. He has fallen on the stairway once or twice when running, and I am a little scared of having him jumping off of the wall (about 3 feet high) which is what he prefers to do. It is also very distracting for him there with dogs and small children on 3 sides. The school ground actually has less distractions and is a safer place to run. It's just a little frustrating that he doesn't like to bring the ball all the way back. He's not getting the most exercise out of our time, plus, when I go get the ball for him, he is not learning anything. I am just stumped as to how to teach him, when food is not even enough of a reinforcer, and ending the game is not really a good option either.
Brody sounds just like my older boy Zeus. At almost 13 years old I've kinda given up hope of him EVER fetching a ball. His late sister was ball catcher/fetcher/finder Queen, but Zeus gives me the 'hey you thru it you go pick it up look'. I think some dogs just don't like playing fetch.;)

MaryK

Honored Member
My youngster, Ra Kismet just LOVES playing Soccer. He's self taught and totally mad about soccer. Plays for hours and doesn't like being stopped, even when he's over heating in this extreme weather, he'll just cool off in what was once my water feature, and is back to his game. But, there is a catch, you do have to play too!!!!!!!!!! Leave him by himself with his ball and he'll just sit alongside, paw on the ball, looking hopeful:rolleyes:

The other game he likes is tug, usually with a wrecked soccer ball, and also whack Mom with the wrecked ball. This entails him charging full tilt at me and jumping up to hit me in the stomach (or back if I'm silly enough to be trying to hang out washing and NOT paying attention to him - yes shame on me I'm a 'bad' Mom:eek:).

He also loves to play chase with his doggy friends and can play for hours. He's tried to encourage my older boy to play but after several attempts and not receiving any responses he's given up on that and is now turning his attention to the cats - who are NOT amused:oops:

Water is another play time fav. jumping in the plunge pool (ex water feature) and showering himself and anyone around with water.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
My youngster, Ra Kismet just LOVES playing Soccer. He's self taught and totally mad about soccer. Plays for hours and doesn't like being stopped, even when he's over heating in this extreme weather, he'll just cool off in what was once my water feature, and is back to his game. But, there is a catch, you do have to play too!!!!!!!!!! Leave him by himself with his ball and he'll just sit alongside, paw on the ball, looking hopeful:rolleyes:

The other game he likes is tug, usually with a wrecked soccer ball, and also whack Mom with the wrecked ball. This entails him charging full tilt at me and jumping up to hit me in the stomach (or back if I'm silly enough to be trying to hang out washing and NOT paying attention to him - yes shame on me I'm a 'bad' Mom:eek:).

He also loves to play chase with his doggy friends and can play for hours. He's tried to encourage my older boy to play but after several attempts and not receiving any responses he's given up on that and is now turning his attention to the cats - who are NOT amused:oops:

Water is another play time fav. jumping in the plunge pool (ex water feature) and showering himself and anyone around with water.
He sounds like a fun boy! Too bad you live so far away, I would love to have Brody be one of his doggy friends.

Honored Member
srdogtrainer - frisbe...not so much. Tug yes! (She also likes to play a combination of tug/fetch ooutside with her ruffian octopus that I haven't gotten on video yet). Actually though she's pretty lazy. She has bursts of energy and then she's like "Ok, done now!" (y)

brodys_mom - Veronica is going to be 7 in June. She has an extrememly soft mouth. I don't know if that was just the luck of the draw or if I can take some credit for it, but I did do allot of work with her to encourage a soft mouth. As a puppy I used Jean Donaldson's techniques for teaching bite inhibition which allow for some mouthing as opposed to a no teeth on skin at all approach. I also did allot of training around "gentle", "drop it" and "leave it". She does mouth a little, or more exactly every time we play like this I manage to catch a tooth on me and get at least a little scrape on me. In this video I'm actually wearing my coat because instead of mouthing per se what will happen is...her head is hard, her teeth are hard, her mouth is hard...when she swings her head around she hits me with her teeth because her mouth is open and they bruise...so I generally don't do it with short sleeves because I joke with my husband that someone will think he beat me up. :confused:

Putting my hand on her muzzle does calm her and as a puppy we did allot of work with handling all body parts and we're overly affectionate so she's learned to like being touched, hugged, squeezed, and kissed all over. :oops:
I play the same game with Holly except she is usually sitting on me when we play it. I also usually get a scratch or two from her teeth (it doesn't break me skin though) because she swings her head around with her mouth open, although I don't get bruised. If she starts to get too bity then we stop the game.
I have wondered if it's an appropriate game to play with Holly because she was very mouthy as a puppy and had a hard mouth, but she isn't too bad now - she takes treats gently and only puts her teeth on skin when playing this game.
Holly also loves tug, she will hang on even if I lift it so high that all her feet leave the ground (although I don't generally do this as I don't want to damage her jaw or neck).
She will fetch but doesn't love it.
Holly loves "the stalking game" where I slowly walk towards her slightly crouched down and say "I'm going to get you" and she takes off doing zoomies around the room and runs at me but then dodges around me while play-growling :LOL: .

Holly loves to play with other dogs. With Lewis it's mostly wrestling (on the floor and on the furniture), at the park she will wrestle with some dogs (usually ones near her size and Oscar the labX) but she often prefers to play chase. She can outrun most dogs we meet because she is very agile, she is really good at tight turns and dodging (she really leans into the turns).

- I also wish Holly could play on her own instead of just ripping up her toys. Lewis plays on his own, he flicks toys around and chases them

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
I agree some dogs just don't like to play fetch. The interesting thing about play styles is that just like humans they are all individuals and have their preferences.

If I put a ball in the yard and just leave it there for Veronica she looks at me like "yeah? Did you want me to do something with that...because I can't imagine what"???

I'm tempted to get her one of those jolly eggs just to see what she would do...but I hate to spend $20 for what I'm fairly certain will be an unsightly lawn ornament.

MaryK

Honored Member
He sounds like a fun boy! Too bad you live so far away, I would love to have Brody be one of his doggy friends.
He and Brody would have a ball together!:D Ooops no pun intended:rolleyes: Would be grand if we lived close by, the two sound a perfect match.(y)

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree some dogs just don't like to play fetch. The interesting thing about play styles is that just like humans they are all individuals and have their preferences.

If I put a ball in the yard and just leave it there for Veronica she looks at me like "yeah? Did you want me to do something with that...because I can't imagine what"???

I'm tempted to get her one of those jolly eggs just to see what she would do...but I hate to spend $20 for what I'm fairly certain will be an unsightly lawn ornament.
LOL 'my' Veronica is too much a lady to play silly games with balls, that's strictly for the boys, not a ladylike young gal in a pretty pink coat. Really, a gal just may get dirty and messed up playing ball games.:eek:
A jolly egg ball isn't my idea of a lovely garden ornament either and something deep inside tells me Veronica would ignore it totally!!!!!!!!!!

I agree Jazzy, dogs are like humans in their play styles and do have their preferences. Ra Kismet will not play with a stick or anything like that, even though Evie B tried to share her stick with him. He displayed a very ungentlemanly lack of manners in ignoring her offer completely! He gives me that same look with sticks thatVeronica gives you when it comes to balls.:rolleyes:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
What about if you throw it and he brings it half way back, then you go get it and toss it like three feet away from you. If it works then you can try every time he brings it partially back, go get it and give it a very short toss to see if he will get it.
I will try this.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
So Brody is really loving the chase aspect of "fetch", but the return part has no value in it for him. He is so excited to chase, and just wants to keep going, but doesn't seem to get the connection between bringing the ball to me, and having me throw it again. I have tried meeting him halfway, before he drops the ball and then running back with him, but he often drops the ball and stops. If he drops the ball before I reach him, he bites the chucker when I go to pick it up. He really is not interested in food during this game, so it's hard to shape him. If I just stand there and wait for him to bring the ball to me, he out-waits me. I ended the game really early once, but regretted it later, as he was not tired enough to behave himself in the evening.

I am wondering also if the ball I am using is too big. It's the standard tennis ball sized one that fits in the chucker, but it's the more bouncy ones that last longer. Bright orange and blue. He doesn't seem to be able to run with it in his mouth without dropping it over and over. Dogs doing flyball have to run really fast with a tennis ball in their mouths. Would a smaller ball maybe help with this? Or different texture? He really likes this ball. We have some of the Kong tennis ball types that don't wear down the teeth and have squeakers, and he likes them, too, but not as much as this one. Plus, it doesn't get as dirty as a cloth ball.

Sorry, I realize I have hijacked this thread a little. Can I move the last half of it somewhere and retitle it "Let's fix Brody's Fetch"?:oops:

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I would say it's worth a try. You just don't want it to be too small where it could be easy for him to swallow it. You could also try some different shaped objects. When I have a dog that has a really hard time learning retrieve I put them on leash and use a knotted sock with treats in it. Some people slit a tennis ball and put treats in it. It is supposed to be really hard for the dog to get the treat out by them self so they learn to bring it back so the person can get the treat out for them.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I would say it's worth a try. You just don't want it to be too small where it could be easy for him to swallow it. You could also try some different shaped objects. When I have a dog that has a really hard time learning retrieve I put them on leash and use a knotted sock with treats in it. Some people slit a tennis ball and put treats in it. It is supposed to be really hard for the dog to get the treat out by them self so they learn to bring it back so the person can get the treat out for them.
How does the leash and the knotted sock work? Also, Brody is prone to stealing socks from the laundry, so I am a little hesitant to encourage him to play with socks! ;)

I just came back from a very frustrating "fetch" session. I don't know how he can be so smart, and yet so dumb. I decided to not pick the ball up to throw it until he brought it all the way back to where I started. At first, I ran to meet him and then cheered him on to follow me back. He did follow me part way, but then stopped about 10 feet before I did. I then went back and encouraged him to pick up the ball and follow me the rest of the way, but he just stood there. I kicked the ball a little, then he picked it up and brought it maybe another 5 feet before he dropped it again. Okay, close enough. I picked the ball up and threw it again. Same thing, he only followed me back so far, then stopped and just stared. One time he dropped it so far back, but he walked without the ball back to the starting point. I decided to just wait him out and see if he would clue in. He wandered around eating dandelion heads for a bit, then just lay down on the grass and relaxed. Hmm, says I , I should have brought a book! After a minute or so, he came right up to me, as if he is waiting for me to throw the ball. Go get it, pup. He sniffed the ground a bit, then looked up at me. Are you going to throw it or not? I ran with him back to where he left the ball, got him to pick it up and bring it back. Again, he dropped it within 10 feet of the finish line, but kept running without it. I sent him back to get it but he just kept picking it up and dropping it without bringing it any closer. I am trying so hard to be positive and fun and cheer him on, but I just want to shake him and tell him what an absolute knuckle head he is. Bad Mommy! Anyway, I gave up early, snapped the leash back home and brought him home. All the way back he was eyeing the ball in the chucker excitedly, as if he just knew I was going to throw it again. Nope. Not today.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
The leash would be a guide to help bring him in if he wants to stop and chew on it. If he is already really into socks then I would probably not work on a retrieve with them, unless you want to teach him to put them in the basket.
Hey there's an idea. Maybe rather then teaching him to bring it back to you, teach him to put in object in something, on something. That will make it a really obvious bring the object to this location rather then bring it somewhere in the vicinity of where I am.
You could try the slitted tennis ball with the treats inside or something else that you could put treats in and see if it helps.
In the mean time, maybe you want to come up with a variety of tricks that involve running that will help exercise him. Go to a target and work on distance, o around a tree. Look into treiball (herding for the non-farm dog, with exercise balls). Jumps, whether they are plastic or just a fallen down tree in the woods or stack of branches.

Hope this helps! Good luck and have fun!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I didn't watch the whole trieball video but I think there is one thing she didn't go over that I learned from one of our few drop in treiball classes. We taught our dogs to be directly across from us and as we started to pivot around the ball they would pivot to stay directly in front of us. We did this in both directions and it is supposed to help get the dog to bring it in straight.

blacknym

Experienced Member
I think the idea if teaching him to bring the ball back to something other tha. Yourself is a good idea. I think maybe he wants you to throw the ball but he at the same time doesn't want to give it up to you directly. Lol

Try teaching him to bring the ball to a basket or bucket. Start small if course and go for distance. :)

brody_smom

Experienced Member
The leash would be a guide to help bring him in if he wants to stop and chew on it. If he is already really into socks then I would probably not work on a retrieve with them, unless you want to teach him to put them in the basket.
Hey there's an idea. Maybe rather then teaching him to bring it back to you, teach him to put in object in something, on something. That will make it a really obvious bring the object to this location rather then bring it somewhere in the vicinity of where I am.
You could try the slitted tennis ball with the treats inside or something else that you could put treats in and see if it helps.
In the mean time, maybe you want to come up with a variety of tricks that involve running that will help exercise him. Go to a target and work on distance, o around a tree. Look into treiball (herding for the non-farm dog, with exercise balls). Jumps, whether they are plastic or just a fallen down tree in the woods or stack of branches.

Hope this helps! Good luck and have fun!
Wow, those are awesome videos! I think Brody will love both of those games. I just need to find a big open space with at least two trees. Treiball looks really fun, but I think I could waste a lot of money on popped exercise balls.