Dog Park - Typical Behavior?

heidio

I have a two year golden retriever that is a big sweetheart. I've taken him to dog parks plenty of times and never had a problem, until today. We were just entering the dog park and got rushed but a couple of dogs. Normal right...well there was this one lab mix that was pretty hyper and jump right up on Max and mounted him. Well Max (usually happy go lucky) turned and growled and didn't bite the dog but snapped at him.
I have to say the owners were right there and corrected their dog, but a few minutes later their dog went to try it again and its owners corrected their dog.
Is this something I should be worried about. I've never had a problem like this before. Does this sound like typical behavior?

Bosun

Was the mounting dog young? Neutered?My 6 month pup is going through, right now, when he is too stimulated he will make the humping motion, slowly and with no actual intent. He stops with a uh-uh. He would turn into a humping machine at an off leash park right now. It is a behaviour he tried on a beagle (male) and the beagle corrected him in the same manner as Max, Fred got "good dogs" from me (Fred the beagle). Really who wants that? Sheesh!

A few thoughts on this, and I will *try* to make them coherent... lol. First, IMO, Max was well within his rights to correct the unwanted behaviour. It was rude and the dog was not in control of itself. Max reminded him he needed to use his manners. I call what Max dis an air snap. It is a correct behaviour from your dog. It is used to correct. Max, used the timing, and the situation correctly.Good dog Max!

Next thought, I dislike those off leash parks. I found them to be chaotic and more dogs without their owners "right there" than those dogs whose owners actually cared. There are too much unpredictability for me. Add to that "pack mentalities" and too many distractions for my dogs to listen/respond properly... It was too much for me. It used to take my dogs a long time to settle down after we'd been there. Like a kid on red food dye!

Not a behaviour, I would be concerned with. If anything give yourself a pat on the back for a properly socialized dog with manners! Max speaks fluent "dog". :D

Dodge

I wouldnt worry about a dog "telling" another dog off for humping as long as its not escalating into a full on fight,its doggy ettiquete,they tell each other :LOL: I love our off leash dog park,it has taught Dodge sooooo much about doggy language :love: he never ever humps anybody,human or dog (only two teddies at home:ROFLMAO:) but he has learned how to let other dogs know to "get off" ,I never correct him for telling a dog in the correct manner and always let other owners know that Dodge will let the dog know,lots of people get embarresed by the humping . . . its mostly a dominance hump so I tell the owners to let the dogs get on with it (not like that:barefoot::LOL:) and they sort it between themselfs (y) it always works out great and ends up with the dogs playing lovely :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Perfectly acceptable behavior as far as I'm concerned. Max had just entered the dog park and this disrepectful dog decided it immediately needed to display a show of dominance. Max corrected him. Perfectly acceptable. Mudflap would have corrected the dog the second it rushed her; she's very particular about dogs respecting her "bubble." You wouldn't like a random person rushing up to you, getting in your face, grabbing you, etc, right? Dogs don't like it either, but some dogs are more tolerant than others. Mud has no tolerance for nosy, overfriendly dogs and will put them in their place right away. Once the other dog understands that they have to respect her space, she is happy to play(respectfully) with any dog.
It's important for dogs to know how to use body language and be allowed to use their language. They have to figure out what's acceptable from dog to dog, so playing with various types of dogs is really important for young dogs to learn how to play nicely.
Max was being as he should have there, just telling the other dog, "Hey, BACK OFF!" I wouldn't worry a bit. :)

heidio

Bosun... Was the mounting dog young? Neutered?
Thanks for you response. It helped to reassure me that Max's behavior was okay. Jack (the mounting dog) seemed on the younger side and I can only guess that he wasn't neutered.
Today seemed to be a bit trying on Max. After we went down to the stream and meant another dog that seemed to be all over Max, Max took it in stride and took a quick dip and then definately let me know that he wanted to go home and nap.
Max, while he is okay with other animals he is most happiest while visiting with the people at the park.
I never correct him for telling a dog in the correct manner
Dodge...that makes me feels much better for not getting upset and correcting Max. I figured because after he did "the air snap" he just trotted away like nothing had happened. If only people could be like that.

heidio

Thanks TX...
I was just so surprised. I never though that Max could even growl like that. I was just so shocked. It so reassures me that I don't have to worry about Max being the big bad bully at the dog park. :)

running_dog

Honored Member
I don't think neutering reduces this kind of mounting, please don't blame Jack's behaviour on him possibly being entire. Neutering may be good for many reasons but this is not one of them. Most un-neutered males seem to give each other plenty of space and respect. Zac is not neutered, he never mounts other dogs but he turns into a raging snapping snarling maniac if other dogs (usually neutered dogs of any age) try to mount him, The offenders always either back off completely or play nicely, they've never tried to mount him twice! Like Dodge and Bosun I tell Zac he's a good dog. Good Dog Max!

Anneke

Honored Member
Yep, I can only agree with the above. It is just Max saying BACK OFF I don't like what you're doing!
If someone would come up to me, jumping on me, I would tell him/her off too:D

Christy0408

What if your dog does not correct or give the get off to other dogs my 3 y/o male beagle just stands there and does nothing while dogs mount him and embarrassed owners make it worse by yelling or clapping to correct their dog my dog has been abused so it scares him what could I do?

running_dog

Honored Member
What if your dog does not correct or give the get off to other dogs my 3 y/o male beagle just stands there and does nothing while dogs mount him and embarrassed owners make it worse by yelling or clapping to correct their dog my dog has been abused so it scares him what could I do?
A few thoughts...

Accept that your dog probably doesn't care/enjoys what is happening. Try saying "Aren't dogs disgusting" and chatting to the owners about how a noisy intervention scares your dog.

This problem is often exacerbated when people are standing chatting or walking too slowly to keep their dog's attention or avert prolonged encounters with other dogs. Could increasing your pace help to avert the problem? Cut play sessions short if this is the way they always finish.

Block other dogs from approaching your dog - if you see another dog approaching call your dog in leash it and literally block the approaching dog with your body. I know often they are persistent but sometimes if you keep turning so you stay between them and your dog you can avert the situation. Sometimes you can identify particular individuals or breeds that are a problem but basically you are better having your dog under close control when approached by an unknown dog anyway.

Hope some of this helps!

Honored Member
My male cavalier used to be like this (except not the getting scared at clapping, he was never abused). If a dog tried to mount him he would just lie down and he never tried to mount any dog himeself (and he wasn't neutered till he was a year old). He was a very laid back and gentle (and not so smart) boy so I think it was just his personality to not really care if a dog did that to him. Usually the dog gave up pretty quickly, but one time a fox terrier really liked him and when the owner took it away and was on the other side of the beach and thought it was safe to let the dog off again it ran straight back to my dog :rolleyes:.
Usually it just wasn't a big deal, although sometimes the owners get extra embarrassed when you tell them your dog is also a boy :ROFLMAO:.

In contrast to that, my female cavalier who was the males half sister was only mounted once in her life and she sure told the male dog off, he was definitly not going to try that again with her :LOL: (and the owner applauded her for it :ROFLMAO: ).

Christy0408

• We have a 4 month old intact beagle that is in love with him and its starting to become a poldoblem he is starting to become aggressive toward us when we separate them which we're getting him fixed soon we live by 2 nonspayed females but I think its just my dog he gives off some smell I love my dogs and I want to do whats best for them but the puppy is starting to be too much he was left at the dog park tuesday a lady asked me to watch him and she disappeared I waited 2 1/2 for her to return she never did so we're trying to work with him but I prefer older dogs not very good with puppys

southerngirl

Honored Member
  • We have a 4 month old intact beagle that is in love with him and its starting to become a poldoblem he is starting to become aggressive toward us when we separate them which we're getting him fixed soon we live by 2 nonspayed females but I think its just my dog he gives off some smell I love my dogs and I want to do whats best for them but the puppy is starting to be too much he was left at the dog park tuesday a lady asked me to watch him and she disappeared I waited 2 1/2 for her to return she never did so we're trying to work with him but I prefer older dogs not very good with puppys
That's horrible someone just abandoned him.:eek: Oh and if you go to the introduction form you can introduce yourself and your dog, also post pictures of him.