Dog Backpacks

bekah1001

Honored Member
Does anybody use dog back packs? My brothers dog and Brody are more hyper then the other dogs and I was wondering if having them wear a dog backpack would help burn more energy.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I have a backpack for Missy and I love it. Right when I put the backpack on Missy she calms down because it is giving them a job to do. About burning energy it can help just make sure you start with no weight in the backpack than when Brody is used to it add some light weight and add on a little on a time. Depending on how much Brody weighs you should determine how much weight he should carry, you can Google it to find the appropriate weight.

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon gets excited on hiking trails she's never been on (last summer) I'm not sure if that would continue this year, but if it does, should I get a backpack????:)

southerngirl

Honored Member
I would get one, not only may it help calm her down it'll also be helpful cause she can carry her own water, poop bags and other things for herself. Just make sure you slowly add weight and don't have her carry to much.

GEORGE'SDAD

So, as I Googled, I found a hiking forum that said a dog should be able to carry 15% of it's body weight...of course start with an empty pack so the dog gets used to it, then slowly add the weight over a period of days/weeks...interesting! So George at 130lbs can carry up to 19.5 lbs...good to know!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Interesting, have seen them and heard they calm down excitable dogs, plus of course, useful for poop bags etc. Am seriously thinking of getting Ra Kismet one. Now LOL all I have to do is get my maths right 15% of 21.7 kilos?????

MaryK

Honored Member
You're a gem Southerngirl, worth your weight in doggy treats:LOL: Thank you so much, didn't think to google, have a total brain fade when it comes to maths:eek:

That sounds right, for his size and weight, and will cover all he needs to carry. Water bottle (small with pure water), poop roll and treats. Um on second thoughts, not the treats, somehow he just may find a way to remove the backpack, I'd better be 'in charge' of those:LOL:

Dice Smith

I love doggy backpacks! Kodi carries his own water when we go for walks and he loves having a job to do. My sister and I actually made their backpacks :LOL:Kodi has a blue army print one with his name on it in sparkly puffy paint and an id badge on the side. My sister's lab has a pink army one with her name on it in sparkly pink puffy paint. :ROFLMAO:

MaryK

Honored Member
That's really grand, personalized backpacks for both dogs:love:(y) What is the name of the pattern you used? You've got me thinking now, as Ra Kismet isn't 'standard' size for coats etc. so making a backpack would be ideal:D Plus of course, original and personalized:D(y)

LOL then all I've have to achieve is getting him to wear it!!!!!!! I'll use click/treat of course:D

Dice Smith

That's really grand, personalized backpacks for both dogs:love:(y) What is the name of the pattern you used? You've got me thinking now, as Ra Kismet isn't 'standard' size for coats etc. so making a backpack would be ideal:D Plus of course, original and personalized:D(y)

LOL then all I've have to achieve is getting him to wear it!!!!!!! I'll use click/treat of course:D
We actually didn't use a pattern, just kind of winged it. We measured from a little above their shoulder blades to their hip and then from their sides to see how low it should hang. It was a complicated process lol. Then we figured out how big the pockets needed to be and how long the straps needed to be as well. We used buttons on the straps and made sure to make it adjustable (Kodi has a habit of having his weight fluctuate :oops: ).

I wish I could point you to a good pattern, but we didn't use one. :( I can see how making one for Ra Kismet would be ideal since he isn't 'standard size' (I think a lot of dogs are like this. Our lab is quite small and petite for a lab).

Btw, have I ever mentioned what an awesome name Ra Kismet is? It's so cute and adorable. Not to mention unique. (y)

MaryK

Honored Member
We actually didn't use a pattern, just kind of winged it. We measured from a little above their shoulder blades to their hip and then from their sides to see how low it should hang. It was a complicated process lol. Then we figured out how big the pockets needed to be and how long the straps needed to be as well. We used buttons on the straps and made sure to make it adjustable (Kodi has a habit of having his weight fluctuate :oops: ).

I wish I could point you to a good pattern, but we didn't use one. :( I can see how making one for Ra Kismet would be ideal since he isn't 'standard size' (I think a lot of dogs are like this. Our lab is quite small and petite for a lab).

Btw, have I ever mentioned what an awesome name Ra Kismet is? It's so cute and adorable. Not to mention unique. (y)
Thank you Dice Smith:D. I think, from what you've described I could 'wing it' too, quite good at that for myself, so why not for the boys:D Will need to take my time, measure a lot and will also use buttons, or maybe velcro, Ra Kismet's weight doesn't fluctuate, except perhaps in the fruit season, when he helps himself to too much fruit straight from the trees:rolleyes::LOL:

Just a further question. What material did you use for the straps? I am thinking maybe a canvas webbing?

Think I have a badge somewhere in the sewing stuff, which maybe suitable to 'personalize' his backpack and will get the pens, nothing like a bit of bling:D

LOL maybe we all need to start a 'sewing for dogs' thread (no pun intended):LOL:

Friends lab, a little dashing blonde lady, is also very small and petite, so cute:love:

Thank you:D. Ra Kismet's name came about because when I got him he brought sunshine back into Zeus and my life, after I lost Zeus' sister to cancer. The Ra is of course, after the Sun God Ra and Kismet because of the way I found out about him at exactly the right time - Kismet - Fate:D So my adored Ra Kismet's name was 'born' and he lives up to it all the time:love::D

After thought, thank goodness for the edit icon. Any chance of a photo, with or without your lovely Kodi? Would help me to actually see it, don't worry though if you haven't got one:)

southerngirl

Honored Member
his name on it in sparkly puffy paint and an id badge on the side.
Great idea to personalize the bag. I'm going to do that with Missy's. Her's is a burgundy it's all they had at the time and I was too impatient to wait for a pink. I would love to see a picture of Kodi's and and your sister's lab.:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Great idea to personalize the bag. I'm going to do that with Missy's. Her's is a burgundy it's all they had at the time and I was too impatient to wait for a pink. I would love to see a picture of Kodi's and and your sister's lab.:D
Thinking of blue or red for Ra Kismet. Way to go, give Missy's backpack a personalized signature or cute saying:D

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm going to post some pics. tomorrow of my ideas for her pack. I'm going to have to hand sew some stuff on:( I poke my finger with the needle a lot, but it' will be worth it when I'm done:D

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm going to post some pics. tomorrow of my ideas for her pack. I'm going to have to hand sew some stuff on:( I poke my finger with the needle a lot, but it' will be worth it when I'm done:D
Great:)(y)

I started a new thread just a few moments ago about Making Dog Related Clothes, maybe post the pics there??

LOL same here, my fingers look like pin cushions:( but it's worth it all. The pride of having 'made it yourself' overcomes the pain:LOL: