Does your dog own a halloween costume?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a little poll to see how many of you have costumes for your dog, halloween is almost here! :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have costumes for my dogs, but it'd be interested in getting some if they looked better. I've only seen the ones at wal-mart and I wasn't impressed. :)

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Very few things boil my blood more than doggy costumes. I hate them with an unrivalled passion.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
We don't celebrate Halloween here in Hungary, so I don't think my dog would need a costume...:doglaugh:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
CollieMan;745 said:
Very few things boil my blood more than doggy costumes. I hate them with an unrivalled passion.
LOL. I'm not talking about every day wear you see hollywood people doing, only a one day thing at halloween. :dogbiggrin:

l_l_a

Last year my husband and I thought we were being very clever by painting our dog instead of getting a costume. He's a white german shepherd, so we painted black stripes on him to make him into a zebra for this pet halloween contest. And actually a lot of people didn't know he was in costume and thought those were his real markings and asked us what kind of rare wolf is he...? We didn't come close to winning anything in the costume contest. The winner was a "little red riding hood" dog.

Then, after the costume contest, we tried to wash off the paint...and to our horror it didn't come off! So we took him to the groomers. He was there for 6 hours, and they still couldn't wash off all the paint, there were gray streaks left. They demanded I bring in the paint to show them. It was just stage makeup that we got at the local department store in the halloween costume section. It said on the box that it was water soluble....I had three groomers crowding round me shaking their fingers accusingly at me, they said you are not supposed to use human paint on a dog, if you want to paint your dog apparently there are dog-specific paints and dyes, and they brought out a bottle to show me!! I didn't know that!! So anyway, they said the residual gray streaks would just have to wear off over time. It was TWO MONTHS before the last of the gray streaks finally wore off! In the meantime, every week at the dog park at least one person would come up and ask me "what kind of dog do you have, I've never seen such unusual markings..." One person even insisted that my dog was some rare european wolf-hybrid which he claimed to have seen before....!!

This year we didn't do anything for halloween.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
l_l_a;804 said:
One person even insisted that my dog was some rare european wolf-hybrid which he claimed to have seen before....!!
:doglaugh: There's always one, isn't there?

This year we didn't do anything for halloween.
To be honest, here in England, Halloween goes by largely uncelebrated.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
:msngiggle: !! That is an hilarious story l_l_a! :dogbiggrin:

I didn't know there was special dog paints/make up lol. They probably charge a lot for it tho.

l_l_a

yeah apparently there is! check this out
http://www.japantoday.com/jp/product/862

At the dog park I've seen this lady bring in a big standard poodle who was at one time completely green, then a month later was completely red. The owner herself kept dyeing her own hair to match her dog's. It looked so fun! And the dogs in the dog park didn't seem to treat the poodle any differently so I don't think it affected the painted dog in anyway, though I personally wouldn't have my dog's fur dyed for more than just a few hours (jsut enough to get a picture and enter a halloween contest!)

As for our own dog, the white german shepherd, the year before our zebra attempt we made him into a dalmatian for halloween by painting spots on him, except that we used food coloring that time so it washed off very easily. The reason we decided to then try the stage makeup the next year for making him into a zebra, is because we found the food coloring would rub off of him onto the walls or our clothes too easily so that by the time we arrived at the pet halloween costume contest his spots had faded a lot. We thought that the stage makeup would last a little longer. Boy, were we right about that one!! TWO MONTHS :doglaugh: