Does Your Dog Have "bratty Days" ?

Dice Smith

Okay, this may seem like a weird thread, but my sister and I were wondering if anyone else's dogs have bratty days? Here's what we mean:

One day our dogs will be amazing, so well behaved and eager to train. They won't be barky or hyper just calm and attentive.
Then the next day comes and they're rowdy, barky and refuse to train at all. All they want to do is get into things and ignore us. We have dubbed these off days as their "Bratty Days" lol :p

We have thought long and hard about this and can't come up with an explanation for their odd behavior. They will get the same amount of exercise, do all the same activities and there won't be any disruptions in their schedule. Yet, they still will be off in lala land. :D

I should also note that their bratty days don't occur that often, maybe once a week. I personally believe that they're just being pissy teenagers lol.:p I know I have bad days where I refuse to listen to authority and am less than angelic. I behave in ways that are probably not appropriate to post lol. Oh, how my parents must love me somedays. :love: I just assume my baby boy behaves in the same manner as his mommy. There I go again, turning Sir Kodi into a human boy! :rolleyes: Luckily, I think he enjoys it! :) There I go, derailing my own thread before I even post it! :eek: Sorry about that, back to the topic at hand.

We were curious if this is something fellow dog owners also deal with or if ours are just the lucky few lol:ROFLMAO: Either way, we love our babies, bratty days and all! :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
My dog def has what we call "Nutzo" days, not particularly "bratty"........ just Nutz.
It's easy enough for me to usually spot the reason he is nutz that day, though, no real big mystery about it.:rolleyes: It's cuz he has been bored too many days in a row.

*My* dog can tolerate one (1) boring day in a row gracefully. One.

On second boring day in a row, he is getting antsy, and seems hyper, barks more, pays less attention to us, is doing laps more often, and is now pulling the stuffing out of toys, and seems kind of spazzy. Even the way he moves is different now, sort of jerky-ish, spazzy, and all his moves seem too fast...like a different dog. He is kind of a more klutzy-er now,:ROFLMAO: too.

The 3rd boring day in a row, (rarely happens but i've seen it) wow, pure nutz. Now, Buddy is verrrrry hard to manage, has trouble listening to us, can't pay attention, is "killing" even more toys, is now becoming fairly destructive, (luckily, he kills "his" stuff though, not "mine")
and is total spaz. His reactions to unknown dogs is worse, too, and much much harder to control or prevent. He almost never smiles on such days, either, seems grumpy.

He's never had 4 boring days in a row, and i shudder to consider what he'd be like if he did.

But, if i keep my dog busy enough, what a fine lil gentleman he is. No complaints. Lovely dog.

I know your dog is younger than mine, so your dog might just be having puppy times, :LOL: and nothing i wrote here might apply at all, in any way, to your dog,
cuz all dogs are unique.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
(for my particular dog, a "boring" day, is one where he only gets his walks, and gets no lessons, no outings to somewhere cool, no extra activities, no running free at full speed, no agility, no tricks sessions, no swimming, no hiking in the woods, no extra miles on his walks, etc,

-------just his basic 2 req'd walks of a mile each,
and maybe one or two quickie play session = Boring Day for Buddy)

the other day we had a project going,
and Buddy was getting nutz....and we were NOT going to be able to take him out to run free somewhere, nor swimming, etc.:oops:

It'd been too hot to run him, and we'd been busy,
so we set a buzzer, every 90 minutes,
we'd stop what we were doing, and give Buddy a five or ten minute tricks lesson or play with him,move him indoors or outdoors, or just to some new spot, give him stuff to do like puzzles.

all day long............after each lil "Buddy Time",
we re-set the buzzer for another 90 minutes....repeat, repeat, repeat.......all day long. (first two times, i set it for 60 minutes, THEN i backed it down to every 90 minutes)

Worked like a charm.:love: MIght be worth "a try", next time your dog is bratty who knows? Set a buzzer for every 60 to 90 minutes and focus on keeping your dog busy, for even 10 minutes. Then reset the buzzer again, over and over. Let me know if that works for your dog the way it works for mine?!;)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Missy has days were she drives me crazy. She'll take toys out of her basket and run around with them. If I'm sitting down she'll jump on me. She runs around the house like a maniac. The only thing she will do is play no walks no training just play. If I've been gone all day and come home at night I have to play outside with her in the dark other words she'll jump on me all night.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Mine definitely did - I think they're both now thankfully old enough (7-1/2 and 6-1/2 yrs) that they're much more settled and mature enough that with a walk and/or some playtime, they can settle fine into a 'boring' day and entertain themselves and/or each other, no problem. As "we" all age, sometimes we're thankfuly for a boring day (yes, dogs too, I think). ;) (and the rest of you will understand, one day) :ROFLMAO:

southerngirl

Honored Member
Missy is 6 and 4months and she still goes nutz sometimes, but she is able to a a "boring day" though she rather be playing and other things. She never entertains herself, I miss my Domino him and Missy would keep each other occupied when I wanted to chill.

madeleine

Experienced Member
Mine is always a bit of a funny brat.. :D

Still tries to trough the stack from the ring toss to me, or run away with it.
Or jumps like a kangooroo trough all the rooms, just for fun.
Or when i ask for a kiss, she'll come to me, jump on me like a lonytoon, growl like she's an old grumpy grandmammy,then give a long sloppy kiss with looots of saliva..... Her tail wagging like grazy.

She can entertain herself easly. But she just loves to entertain people (be in the center of attention....), laughter does her great (and is a high motivation for her, just like some treats..) most of the time she does have a "victim"....

Dogster

Honored Member
When Shivon goes off the wall, she literaly goes OFF THE WALL:rolleyes::cautious::ROFLMAO:
She will run laps around the house,
again,
and again,
and again:rolleyes:,
jumping on furniture while growling. She also gets this huge evil grin:sneaky::rolleyes:

Caiti

Experienced Member
Whenever Wylie has a 'boring day' he is a nightmare. He isn't a very high energy dog but needs a lot of stimulation. Every evening we go for a one to two hour walk to the park and we train, play, run around and relax. We both love it. If he doesn't get taken on this walk, well, nothing good happens. :p

He usually runs around in circles, bounces off of furniture, barks not stop, or lies down and destroys every single one of his toys. Any other time he is a perfect angel, we just cannot miss that walk.

Dice Smith

(for my particular dog, a "boring" day, is one where he only gets his walks, and gets no lessons, no outings to somewhere cool, no extra activities, no running free at full speed, no agility, no tricks sessions, no swimming, no hiking in the woods, no extra miles on his walks, etc,

-------just his basic 2 req'd walks of a mile each,
and maybe one or two quickie play session = Boring Day for Buddy)

the other day we had a project going,
and Buddy was getting nutz....and we were NOT going to be able to take him out to run free somewhere, nor swimming, etc.:oops:

It'd been too hot to run him, and we'd been busy,
so we set a buzzer, every 90 minutes,
we'd stop what we were doing, and give Buddy a five or ten minute tricks lesson or play with him,move him indoors or outdoors, or just to some new spot, give him stuff to do like puzzles.

all day long............after each lil "Buddy Time",
we re-set the buzzer for another 90 minutes....repeat, repeat, repeat.......all day long. (first two times, i set it for 60 minutes, THEN i backed it down to every 90 minutes)

Worked like a charm.:love: MIght be worth "a try", next time your dog is bratty who knows? Set a buzzer for every 60 to 90 minutes and focus on keeping your dog busy, for even 10 minutes. Then reset the buzzer again, over and over. Let me know if that works for your dog the way it works for mine?!;)
Oh my gosh, this is such a cool idea! We'll definitely give it a try and let you know how it goes :)

Dice Smith

Missy has days were she drives me crazy. She'll take toys out of her basket and run around with them. If I'm sitting down she'll jump on me. She runs around the house like a maniac. The only thing she will do is play no walks no training just play. If I've been gone all day and come home at night I have to play outside with her in the dark other words she'll jump on me all night.
I have to do the same thing with Kodi if I'm gone all day too. I have to take him out in the backyard, even if its dark out so he can be a spaz and get his crazy energy out. Otherwise he pounces on me all night long going from one window to the next. Not exactly my idea of a good nights sleep. Or kodi's either! :ROFLMAO:

Dice Smith

Kodi is five and my sister's lab is five and a half. Their bratty days usually come out of nowhere and surprise us lol.O_o They both had super bratty days today but that was because of the horrible hot weather we've been having. They don't like this hot, muggy summer lol. :D And I don't much like it either! :)

Evie

Experienced Member
My dog is always super crazy/energetic .... especially if my parents are around *sigh* They must think she's the craziest dog ever because she is NEVER calm when they're around. Ever.

She also has what I refer to as her 'teenage' moments where she just flat out refused to listen to me regardless of what I'm asking of her. Like with Buddy, Evie will also take to killing her toys (and sticks and empty toilet rolls and anything else she can find which she knows she IS allowed to have) when she's bored and hasn't done enough exciting things that day. If she goes a day or two without doing anything which she considers exciting enough for her, then she becomes obnoxious. She will just pester you to play 24/7... when I had my uni exams a couple of weeks back, she went 3-4 days without doing anything truely fun. She still did bits and pieces but didn't get half as much attention as she usually would. This showed. For the first time EVER she stole one of my teddies off of my pile on the floor (which she knows she's not allowed to have) and took it to her bed to kill. Luckily I saw it before it got killed.....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"For the first time EVER she stole one of my teddies off of my pile on the floor (which she knows she's not allowed to have) and took it to her bed to kill. Luckily I saw it before it got killed....."//

i know i shouldn't laff, but i did! :LOL: too funny! er, i mean, "oh no, that's too bad.";)
Yeah, i hear you, i'm pretty darn certain, if i had to study for finals, or if Buddy had to go FOUR days without something exciting,
i'd find him killing something of MINE, too!:ROFLMAO: and wow, Buddy does NOT listen to me, on day 2 or day 3, nope, acts like he has no idea what most of tricks are about, or zooms through them at warp speed cuz he is too hyper to do them right.

(well, in all honesty, Buddy often zooms through his tricks, and it is an ongoing thing to keep him doing his tricks at proper speed) but he is worse of a trick-zoomer on day 2 or day 3.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"Oh my gosh, this is such a cool idea! We'll definitely give it a try and let you know how it goes :)"//

it's worth a try, since it seems quite a few of us here identify there seems to be a link,
in our dog's behavior,
and how many days (or hours:rolleyes: ) it's been since dog got to blow off some steam or do something "exciting".

you could also consider marking on your calendar,
put "E" on daysssss that Kodi did have a great Exciting day----lots of attention and extra playtimes, training sessions, outings to cool places, fetch for an hour, swimming, doggie visitors to wear him out, whatever it is that makes a day "great":D to your Kodibear.

and then put "B" on days you feel Kodi was "bratty".

and see if there is any pattern there.....??????????

Dice Smith

Thank you for another gre
//"Oh my gosh, this is such a cool idea! We'll definitely give it a try and let you know how it goes :)"//

it's worth a try, since it seems quite a few of us here identify there seems to be a link,
in our dog's behavior,
and how many days (or hours:rolleyes: ) it's been since dog got to blow off some steam or do something "exciting".

you could also consider marking on your calendar,
put "E" on daysssss that Kodi did have a great Exciting day----lots of attention and extra playtimes, training sessions, outings to cool places, fetch for an hour, swimming, doggie visitors to wear him out, whatever it is that makes a day "great":D to your Kodibear.

and then put "B" on days you feel Kodi was "bratty".

and see if there is any pattern there.....??????????
Thank you for another great idea Tigerlily! I'll definitely try this too. I'm sure there has to be some kind of link between his "bratty" days lol :p and his great days. Maybe I need to try rotating his toys too. Anything's worth a try! :)