disipline

bekah1001

Honored Member
What are you supposed to do when your dog does something bad. I dont want to scare my puppy or make her afraid of me when she does something wrong.:doghuh:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
It depends. I use a sharp "Ah-ah!" to discourage any unwanted behavior. Yelling it of course is not a good thing to do, you just say it firmly. If she chews on something, then you say "Ah-ah!" and praise her for stopping the behavior, then give her something appropriate to chew on.
It just depends on what the "something bad" is. :dogsmile:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
If you catch her, use the "Ah-ah!" If you don't, you can't do anything. When she wets the carpet and you find it five minutes later, she doesn't remember. You can't "punish" her unless you catch her in the act. If she wets the carpet, clean it up THOROUGHLY and use a pet-stain specific cleaner. Take her outside immediately and praise her when she uses the bathroom outside.

snooks

Experienced Member
for something i don't want i distract, redirect, and reward for something i do want. say puppy starts chewing the rug, i say excuse me or get down and distract her with play or food or an appropriate chewie. then reward for proper action. so i do pairs get her to quit, do something rewarding for her. puppy's attention span is 2-5 seconds at most so that's all i need for her to forget. i use a clicker too. so to get her to stop something---excuse me
---click right as she stops and reward w/in 1-2 seconds. i have a can of squeeze cheese or peanut butter at hand or toys at all times. if she doesn’t listen go touch softly to distract and put something in her mouth.

i prefer not to do any scolding for potty. i want no stress associated w/potty. that makes a dog more likely to go hide or do it where no one catches her. all accidents are the human's fault in my world; watched puppies don't potty in the house. if u can't watch 100% crate puppy. take out to where u want her to go and repeat a command/cue like hurry up. when she potty’s wheee YAY good meat or cheese rains from the sky. always take puppy out after nap, eating, play, exercise, excitement, right away.

get on a regular feeding and exercise schedule and u'll be able to predict better when they need to go. if u catch them don't say a word, scoop them up and repeat ur outside word, like outside outside calmly. go to the spot and use ur potty cue. clean up with no emotion, if u can't put puppy in another room and clean it right with an enzymatic cleanser. any smell will be a huge billboard saying for years PEE HERE!!!

this works so well that most of my pups never potty'd in the house even once. it's all just timing really. as puppy gets older and can hold it a minute or so preempt, watch for signs she needs to go call, be silly, and entice to come to u even one step. when she does yay let's go outside and repeat outside as u go. work up to coming to get u or paw a foot or hand. u can even train to ring a bell.

it's easier for me to teach and reward what i do want than no no no which doesn't teach anything. ggod luck and enjoy that pup!