Dining Room Issue

jacquelinefane

Ok,

My border collie, Cabela, had never had an accident in our house. Unfortunatley she developed a severe bacteria infection in her intestines, which resulted in accidents in the house. No matter how many times we walked her she still had accidents and we knew it was because she was sick. She would only have her accidents in the dinning room. She is back to her normal self and the vet said the bad bacteria is now gone. The only problem is Cabela now has it in her head that if we aren't home it is ok to go in the dining room. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reverse this?

Thank You,
Jacqueline

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
jacquelinefane;551 said:
Ok,

My border collie, Cabela, had never had an accident in our house. Unfortunatley she developed a severe bacteria infection in her intestines, which resulted in accidents in the house. No matter how many times we walked her she still had accidents and we knew it was because she was sick. She would only have her accidents in the dinning room. She is back to her normal self and the vet said the bad bacteria is now gone. The only problem is Cabela now has it in her head that if we aren't home it is ok to go in the dining room. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reverse this?

Thank You,
Jacqueline

Hi Jacqueline!

It is my personal belief that the best remedy for stopping your dog from urinating in your dining room, or anywhere - is supervision.

The only way a dog can learn not to urinate somewhere, is if he is caught in the act - and redirected to the proper location. In your case, it seems to me that your dog has accepted the view that it is okay to urinate in your dining room if you are not present.

So to stop it, you will need to catch her urinating in your dining room, give her a "Ahh!!" verbal reprimand and bring her outside to finish her business. This will be hard since she has learned that it is safe to do it when you aren't home, so here are a few tips which will hopefully help you:

• Do you crate your dog? If yes, then you can easily crate your dog before you leave your house - this will eliminate the problem of lack of supervision.

• Do you have baby gates? Those are a good option to stop your dog from accessing your dining room when you are not home.
The last tip I want to give you, is to create situations where she might go urinate in your dining room while she thinks you are not watching her. Example, before bringing her outside you can leave her inside and bring her in the dining room - and pretend like you are doing something ... keep an eye open and see if she'll urinate in the dining room.

You can also leave a window open, step outside and watch her from the window - see if she urinates in the dining room and if she does, yell out your "Ahh!!!" from outside to startle her and then let her go outside.

One very last thing I should mention - is that your floor might still smell like urine. Dogs will continue to urinate in the same area once that smell has been established. Try using an stain & odor remover specifically formulated to remove urine smell, they sell them at pet stores. Once you wipe the urine off, you can wipe this on top to get rid of the smell ... you will have to do it every single time though.

The product i've used while my puppies were young is called "Four Paws Industrial Super Strength Stain & Odor Remover", it's a yellow bottle and I got it at Pet Smart.

I hope this helps you a little bit - maybe other members have more insights they can share with you! :msnwink:

cturner37

agree with Jean, but in the absence of 'supervision' you could go back to basic newspaper training. Put the newspaper in the dining room and 'allow' it to happen. If she does it on the paper, then thats ok. Slowly, maybe a foot a day, move the paper to the back door. Dont know how big your house is but hopefully in a couple of weeks you'll have got to the back door, then move it outside. Any accidents in the meantime, just move the newspaper back, to where you last had 'success', then continue with the foot a day movement. Good luck. Caro xx

jacquelinefane

Thanks for all your help guys. The situation is much better. She had a return visit with the vet and he discovered that her abdomen was very cramped and over worked. The situation was because the bacteria caused diarreah so she couldn't help having accidents, and what she had done is tried to hold it in so hard that she over exerted her gi tract. Poor girl! She was trying so hard not to poop in the house that she literally had no control because her muscles were tired. The doctor had us not feed her for a day then gave her perscription easily digestible food and she is back to normal completley.

Thank you for everything

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Ah! You are welcome.

I'm very happy to hear that you have found out there was still a problem with her. That was extremely good thinking on your part to bring her back to the vet - I wish I had mentioned it!! Sorry. :dogblush:

jacquelinefane

Don't be sorry! I have a happy well behaved dog that is my absolute best friend (besides my husband of course :msngrin:) I attribute a large amount of that to this website. I had dogs growing up that I was extremely close to but Cabela goes everywhere with me. She is my constant companion and thanx to your website and you I am confident in her. I have used all your advice and trainig lessons and because of that I know I can expect her best behavior in every situation. I teach a sunday school class of young children and they love Cabela and she is great with them.

I also recently taught her two neat new tricks. I can tell her to "go home" from any where in our apartment complex. She bolts full speed finds our stairs and goes up to sit and wait patiently by the door. To teach this trick we used the same concept of how you teach "name". My husband would hold Cabela and I would say go home and run home with her following me. When we got to the door she recieved a click treats and lots of praise.

We did the same thing with "go to the car"

Thank you for creating this website and thanx to all the helpful people on it. I now have all the basic knowledge to make my dogs life as happy and fulfilling as possible!!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I'm very happy to hear that things are working great for you, you've really expanded on the name lesson and it's awesome!!! :msngrin:

Many more things to come, wait until I record the shaping tricks - those are my favorites! You basically get your dog to do stuff, without you luring them - so they must figure it out on their own and use their little brain. :msnsmile: I can't wait to teach you this! But I gotta finish 3rd and 4th levels first hehe.

zhaira046

my dogs always licks there each others ears and it is so discusting they always do that when we eat.

healp me jean please
i have more problems to come
so help me pls..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!