Decisions, Decisions...

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Definitely not. I did try to educate them...and they also had a cat, and although Zeke is improving with kitties and doing very well, I just wouldn't trust him alone. He is just very in-your-face with cats, and has been since he was a pup. He does alright and he's been wonderful with Elli, but his self-control needs a lot of work. I wouldn't just hand him over to someone who didn't understand why and would just leave him unattended with a cat.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Sick Feeling/Thrilled Feeling.

In the past month I've been so excited with Zeke's progress and how quickly we're moving along. Sad though it may be, I've forgotten how much I loved my snuggle buddy.....

But, I just got an email from someone looking for a track dog--typically used my lamb-showers to run their show lambs. The man said their Border Collie passed away this past November and his daughter shows goats. They need a track dog....this is right up Zeker's alley....and although I'm thrilled to have found this...gosh I can't shove away the sick churning in my stomach and the tears are already welling.

Quite frankly I had already come to terms with rehoming Rusty. Zeke loooves Mudflap so much and is so attached to me, and he just fits here...not that Rusty doesn't. I am planning on getting another BC pup sometime within the next year or so, and with Zeke any dog is fine...with Rusty his dog aggression isn't perfect yet and there's a chance that he and the pup might have issues once the pup is grown. Rusty loves puppies but not all dogs.

I'm crying already, but, after just reading the first email it sounds perfect for both me and for the guy. He asked if Zekers has been around/worked livestock--grown up literally with livestock, worked some. He would looove being a track dog and the guy knows how to handle working breeds. It's incredibly hard for me to picture Mudflap without Zeke and vice versa. They're best buddies...and have been all along. But this sounds perfect so far. Couldn't call the guy yet because it's late but told him I would call tomorrow as soon as I get a chance.

I just can't keep doing this to him and Rusty.

We'll see what happens when I talk to him tomorrow. :dogunsure:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Second email from the guy received this morning. Says he's exactly what they're looking for. Daughter used to spend hours tossing tennis balls for their Border Collie and just playing with it. They live on a ranch.

It sounds like a Zeke Heaven. I'll be calling him shortly and we'll see how it goes...

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
And maybe not...

At first, it sounded wonderful. The man was very kind and talked about how his daughter was with their Border Collie that passed away. He asked many good questions about Zeke's working ability and eye for stock. But then...

He talked about how they had gone through three different Border Collies since the last one died and none of them had enough desire to run stock. Said that they would for a while, but then lose interest and just want to be a pet. So they were humanely euthanized. (Gee that makes sense doesn't it...)

Then he asked if Zeke was neutered. Yes. Well good because unneutered males send his Anatolian Shepherds on edge, and they will kill unneutered males. The Anatolians will also kill his goats so he has to keep a hawkeye on them and keep them well fenced. (Wait a second, aren't Anatolians supposed to GUARD livestock?)

He affectionately spoke of how his daughter would spoil Zeke and make him more of a pet...and that ruins most stock dogs. (WHAT??) They just don't want to work when they've been made into pets.

And lastly, he didn't want to get a BC puppy because his daughter would make it too much of a pet, and those Border Collies are just plain stupid as puppies anyway. (Okay, now you've got to be a nutjob.)

So...guess that just proves to do some extensive reading rather than deciding the book is good just on the outside.

But, after talking to my dad about it today, he'd rather keep Zekers. He wants to rehome Rusty....he's concerned with Rusty getting out and starting fights and what not. Which has happened. I'm ashamed to admit it but right now he's currently being kept in a dog run so he can't escape and wreak havoc. He gets walked daily, but still....

I think the decision has been made who is staying....but I hate it either way. e-e Ugh.

fickla

Experienced Member
Wow, that family sounds crazy. I can't believe they killed 3 dogs because they wanted to be a "pet." That's so sad ;(

I'm glad that you've finally settled on what you're going to do. I know the right home WILL come along for Rusty. My prayers are still with you.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yes it's terrible...he said that they would run them for a little while but then just quit. If he had any sense at all he would know that you have to CONDITION these dogs to last as long as you want them to. Of course they're going to quit pretty quickly at first! I feel so bad for those dogs. And it sounded like he was the rough, traditional type...Zeke would surely crater under those hands. And if I were to give him to him and find out he got put to sleep I'd be so furious I'd drive the 6 hrs to the guy's town to hunt him down.

I actually met someone who might be interested in Rusty, and it would be a good home...we'll see if that goes anywhere. Thank you Fickla. :)

storm22

Experienced Member
it sounds awful i feel sorry for his daughter she just wants a dog to work but come home and snuggle up to at the end of the day, sad to hear this guy doesnt want his kid to have a great loving dog,

glad to hear you've made a hard decision about which dog to adopt out, its gunna be hard i couldnt imagine how hard it would be TX, but atleast your looking long and hard for the right home for one of your boys, you have to be so picky cause even though they wont be with you you want them to be happy, have you asked at local dog training clubs if they know of anyone expereinced that want another dog like rusty or zeke, someone out there must want one of your lovely dogs

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
We only have one local dog club, and I don't really know anyone in it...they're a little snooty. I do know they use traditional and positive methods--clicker training, but ONLY prong collars, lots of domination, etc....

I recently met a 60+ year old woman with a BC puppy. She had NO idea what she was getting into, and even after taking classes with the pup she's very burnt out. She still wants a dog but she can't keep up with this spry youngster. Her trainer is a friend of mine and thinks Rusty is right up her alley. Lol a "dog trade." She wants a laid-back companion. I'd be more than happy to take the pup because she really needs to get back on track because she's going nuts. I did talk to the woman a few times and told her that if she decided to do anything to let me know. If she sends her to a shelter then the pup is just going to end up in the same situation over and over again.

Anyway, so that's a possibility. The lady has 6 foot fences, wants only ONE dog, and spoils this pup rotten. So we'll see if anything happens there. Trainer is going to talk to her.
I have ads up, no replies yet. Been up for about a month.

snooks

Experienced Member
This guy killing his dogs sounds like a HUGE jerk. It's a shame that people like him are allowed to get dogs. His poor daughter too. grrr