Dandelion Picking

samgirl

After I finished training these last three tricks with Jake(shown in the vid below) I've decided to teach him to pick dandelions as a practical trick. We don't use pesticides or anything, so no worries about that. I'll be using a clicker to do so, and I was just wondering if anyone here had some ideas? I was thinking of taking the flower of one and teaching him to pick it up, then going from there.:dogbiggrin:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
First, verify if dandelions, if eaten, would be poisonous to dogs. Probably are not, but i'd check first. I mean, who knew raisens, mushrooms, maybe grapes, are no good for dogs?
Otherwise, sounds like cute trick! Bah ha ha!! Have a lil bucket that he is trained to drop them in, too!

samgirl

I checked several sites, and according to what I've read they're harmless. Thanks for the concern :D

Yeah, he'll be dropping them in a bucket! So far we've worked on it for about three short sessions, and he's actively going after Dandelions(rather than them AND the grass lol) lipping and nibbling at it, giving them little tugs and occasionally actually plucking them.

samgirl

Well, after a few days of short practices this is where he's at currently:

He's doing great with the part where he has to pluck them. I'm not sure, however, how I'll get him to put the flowers into a bucket. He picks them, and then spit them out!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Samgirl, have you considered training your dog to pick up pennies? There was a trainer a while back that trainer his dog to pick up a penny and drop it in a bottle. It was really cool to watch. :)

samgirl

Jean;18435 said:
Hi Samgirl, have you considered training your dog to pick up pennies? There was a trainer a while back that trainer his dog to pick up a penny and drop it in a bottle. It was really cool to watch. :)
I'd heard about that, but it had never occurred to me to try and teach it... I might try it! Thanks for the suggestion.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ADORABLE!! WOW! NICE WORK!! Cute dog, too!!!

You could teach the "Put in bucket" part of trick as whole separate lesson, maybe. Start with some flower heads, in a pile, next to a bucket, and teach him to drop it IN the bucket, let that step have it's OWN verbal cue. After he has that down, combine two tricks together:

At first, carry bucket around for him to drop flowers in. Give verbal cue for the bucket as soon as he picks the flower, even put bucket under his chin if you can.

Then advance along to setting bucket next to him while he is picking flower. Then advance along to having him walk over to bucket a few steps to drop flower in.