Dandelion ("dandy") - Border Collie (mix?)

threenorns

dandy's mother is definitely purebred. his dad is definitely purebred.

we don't know if dandy and his sister, of all the litter, are throwbacks to some distant ancestor; if gramma or great-gramma's got some 'splainin' to do; or if mama maybe partied a little too hearty but here he is:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
His face definitely screams "I am a Labrador!" to me. Were both his purebred parents supposed to be border collies?
Can a female get knocked up by more than one male in the same heat cycle? He has some of the same physical features as my Brody, the ears especially, that are not so border collie. Makes you wonder, eh? And what are the known tree-climbing breeds!?

threenorns

definitely its possible to have a "multi sire" litter, which would account for the disparate size and appearance between dandy and the single female compared to the other puppies. he looks very flat coated retriever to me, but i know the parents and while dad is big, they are no doubt border collies. well, he got the important part, so that's all that matters lol.

oh, interesting thing: i only just found out about a week ago that he's got brown right around his bottom lip! i don't know if it was there and i never noticed or if it's only just developed, but he's got the thinnest brown strip (about a 1/2") on either side of his bottom lip and he's developing a white 'stache. i guess technically, that would make him a tricolour, eh?

mum: black and white border collie, weighed 27lbs at the time (she was *teeny* and so were all the other pups - the ones that survived, that is). she was the kind looked like a fox - smooth coat with pronounced feathers.

dad: black and white border collie, weighed 60lbs - the kind with a thick, upstanding coat and looking rather like a panda bear. almost a dead ringer for the father dog in "babe". this dog is extremely similar (just turn the brown black and make the white strip even narrower up the nose, almost disappearing between the ears): http://www.risingsunfarm.com/photos/spot/Spot-facelg.jpg
this dog is a cross betw a flat-coated retriever and a border collie: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2186/2009230076_610784033a.jpg

had ppl on at me to do a DNA test but i think that would suck all the fun out of it.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
oh, interesting thing: i only just found out about a week ago that he's got brown right around his bottom lip! i don't know if it was there and i never noticed or if it's only just developed, but he's got the thinnest brown strip (about a 1/2") on either side of his bottom lip and he's developing a white 'stache. i guess technically, that would make him a tricolour, eh?
You can definitely see that on the first picture you posted, the brown hair on his bottom lip. The white upper lip, too! What an interesting face. Brody has some black "freckles" on his mostly white muzzle, but you also see that there is some black skin under the white hair.

MaryK

Honored Member
Dandy is just Dandy!!!!!!!! No matter what his breeds are:D:love:

Yes you definitely can have multi sires. For example, my older boy Zeus is pure bred Heeler but his late sister was a real mix. And I know for sure that Mom did get out and um have a 'fling' with another lad! People would look astounded that they were actually litter mates as Tiger Lily was very delicate, mostly black, with a more Kelpie look about her (despite Mom being a pure bred Heeler). The pair looked nothing alike and had totally different temprements as well.