Cris And Mini Aussie Named Valentine

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
YAY!!! HUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE GOING ON FOR YOU AND VALENTINE over here!! WHOOOOOOOOOT!! Wow, and in your very first week! wow! this is great progress so so soon! YOu are doing something right there, Cris!!

thanks for info, Sara, those do look nice. So Sara, you feel these head halters are superior to Gentle Leaders? is that right?

sara

Staff member
I feel most head halters are superior to the GL. I dont like it at all. I've heard bad more than good with those. I use a Black Dog Training Halter for Oliver, and used it with Buck as well, which was working fine, except Oliver was without it when walking both of them, and I need it for helping control his aggression. It would take me 3 weeks to get another Black Dog, so I decided to try this new one. I'm VERY glad I did!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
My dog dislikes his GL very much. I did all the steps on the instructions, but, he still dislikes it strongly. Buddy stopped coming to me with a big smile, at the hours he gets his walks,
when i began using GL. <---this is Buddy's "reminder" that it is walk time!
He no longer even wanted to go on a walk at all....
:oops:

I spent time repeating all the steps to try to get Buddy to like his GL, but, he never did like it.

I only use it rarely, sometimes for going in petsmart or places that are likely to send him overthetop. Very rarely use it, really, cuz it bums Buddy out so much. But, other ppl report their dogs did get used to it,and had some great progress with it.

I've also heard from a few other dog owners whose dogs loathed their GL. One guy told me, his dog, who has never ever ever destroyed any item in his home, not ever,
chewed his GL to bits.
He said, "i guess Max told me what he thinks of that GL...":rolleyes:

but who knows, Buddy may also dislike the NewTrix head halter, too, no idea....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Sara, do you have any observations on whether or not dogs like the NewTrix more than GL? Did any of your dogs dislike any of the head halters
more than other head halters?

sara

Staff member
Buck likes the new trix better than the Black dog, but I think it may be more of a case of he's getting more comfortable with things on his face. I know a lady with 3 deafies (2 Koolies and an Australian Cattle dog) that hated GL's (one got a bloody nose from the GL), hated Haltis, but are perfectly fine with the Black Dog. I tried a Halti with Oliver... he fought it constantly... but he's cool with a Black Dog. I havent tried the new trix on him yet.

HA HA HA HA HA Ollie just got confused by a noisy fart coming out of his rear end! LOL

Sorry. I had to share :ROFLMAO:

I think they have a pretty good return policy, as their product is pretty expensive. What I like about the New Trix is it pulls behind the head, so there's no twisting of the dogs head, which can cause some serious damage, if not careful.

CrisM

Just a quick (braggy) update. :LOL:

Valentine is up to 35 minute walks with no aggression towards the leash. She really loves her walks now! I'm not sure when we'll be able to taper the treats down, but right now I'm not even worried about it.

Thanks again for all your advice and suggestions! You guys are great!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WOW! THAT IS AWESOME!! HUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE going on for you over here! WOW and WOW! Just reeeally heartwarming, how you never gave up, and kept at it, kept trying new ways til you found one that helped your dog! WOW!
so so great to hear a success story! just really great news! Really happy for both you, and for your lucky dog, Valentine! He's lucky, cuz he has YOU beside him!