Crash learned a new trick!

amytk9

So our Weimaraner, Crash, has always done this cute thing where he rolls over on his back then starts wiggling around on his back. My husband has always said how cute it is, and the other day he said 'I wish we could put that on cue'. I told him we certainly could!

Yesterday, Crash offered this trick, I wasn't looking for it or prepared, so I marked it with a YES! and grabbed some food for him. I then grabbed my camera, clicker and more food and went about training him to 'Wiggle'. I noticed when he did it the first time I was simply saying 'What'? What do you want? In a higher pitched voice because he seemed to be trying to tell me something. This resulted in him wiggling on his back.

So I took the same approach and just started saying 'What?' Can you Wiggle on your back? I kept up saying it (normally I don't try to put it on cue before he knows it, but this was what was getting him to roll on his back). He did it again, Click & Treat! With in about 5 minutes, I had him wiggling on his back. Better yet, I got all of it on video!

I will have to post the video later though, I have to start getting ready for work.

amytk9

Thanks guys! Sorry video isn't up yet, I've been sick all weekend. Will try to get it up tomorrow!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Nice! way to 'capture"!! I should do that method of teaching cues more often, your post is inspiring me.

Lol, i am smiling, thinking of alllll the humorous cue-words you could have used....like, "Is your back itchy?" or "Need a back rub?"
or, (this idea stolen from another member), "What do girls at __(least favorite university)___do?"
or, "Who wants a back scratch?"
or, "How does Daddy does sweep the floor?"
or, "What happens if you drink tequila?"
etc etc etc....
still, i bet this IS so adorable when seen!! too cute!! NICE JOB!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
HA I'm rolling just at the possible cues already mentioned and the cues coming to mind. xD Too too funny.

When you're running out of trick ideas and need some creativity, just ask the dog.