Cranberry Pumpkin Treats

laramie

Experienced Member
So, I figure the holidays are coming and there is plenty of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) on store shelves, so I would post a recipe that I'm going to try.

Ingredients
15 ounce Canned Pumpkin (non-spiced) or approximately 1 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
1/4 cup dried Cranberries
1 cup Powdered Milk
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3 cups Whole Wheat Flour

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a bowl add all ingredients and mix until well combined. Knead dough into ball and roll onto a floured surface 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter of your choice and poke with a fork to prevent air bubbles. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned at the edges.
Cool and refrigerate.

If you don't have or don't want cranberries, DO NOT substitute with raisins. Grapes and all forms of grapes are toxic to dogs.

For dogs with wheat allergies, I think you may be able to put some oats into a blender and make a flour to use instead of wheat. I know I've done this before, but never with this recipe. I'll use oats and let everyone know how it went.

I hope lots of people try this and let me know how it goes! :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yes, dogs don't need flour, ever. I'd swap out all the flour for oats. RAw oats are healthier and far more absorbative to thicken up the batter, than flour.
Esp wheat flour, is more likely to cause allergies.

I'd leave out the powdered milk, too. Use potato flakes or veggies instead, if you are looking to thicken the recipe up.

ALSO, be ware-------punkin is soooo full of fiber, that it is a LAXATIVE for dogs, also, oddly, it's good for treating watery stools as well.

BUT I LIKE THAT YOU ARE NOT USING STORE BOUGHT TREATS!! which are almost always provably toxic for dogs!! All your recipes, are better than store bought treats!!